Mouse pointer keeps showing up when playing video

tyros

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I have Razer Imperator mouse and this started happening recently when playing any full screen video (Windows Media Player, VLC, even YouTube). The pointer randomly appears every couple of seconds as if somebody keeps touching the mouse. I know, it can happen sometimes if you accidentally move the desk or from any other vibration (this mouse is very sensitive), but it happens when everything is still. I've searched all over the web and couldn't find any solutions. It is a minor, but very annoying problem. Can anyone help?

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
alternatively......turn your mouse upside-down :p if its still doing it after that check the condition of the mouse cable if it STILL does it after that then we need to move into software/firmware.

tyros

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
If I disconnect the mouse it's not doing that, so it must be hardware related.

What do you mean by that, what should I be looking for? I did notice the cable is worn in one spot where it touches the edge of my keyboard tray.

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

If the cable is worn down to a point where air could actively flow/dust could enter the actual internal cable then this may very well be the cause of your problems as this can interfere with the signal being sent.

tyros

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Okay, I don't think it's the cable. When I turn the mouse upside down, it doesn't happen. And it can't be the speakers, I've had them for years and this only started happening about two weeks ago. I'll try reinstalling the drivers and see if that fixes it.

just turn the mouse sensitivity down in the razer pannel... clean out the hole where the lazer exits the mouse and clean the lens with a dry Q-tip. this will reduce the chance of vibrations and dust interfering with the lazers detector.
1 thing to check though... hold the mouse absolutely still and press the mouse buttons.. does the pointer move in a random direction? by 1-5 pixels? if so then your mouse is malfunctioning at the hardware level and will need replacing if under warranty.

tyros

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I found the problem. It was my dang mouse pad that I bought recently. I don't really need one, I just bought it so the desk surface wouldn't get scratched. When I remove the pad, the problem goes away. It's a cheap one from Walmart.

Can anyone recommend a good mouse pad that would work well with a laser mouse?