Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2012 3:40:53 AM

Hello there,
Not so long ago, i bought a new rig. the specifications are as follows:

CPU: i7 2600k (stock cooler, not OC)
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 580 Lightning
RAM: 8GB G-Skill ram
MotherBoard: Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
Case: Cooler Master 331 (Stock fan, no extra fans.)
HDD: 1TB seagate HDD

When measuring my temps with speedfan, I have found that my cores idle around 46 degrees, my GPU idles around 45 degrees and the CPU temp itself idles around 40 degrees (although i am not sure that this is the CPU temp, I'm almost positive it is.)

When playing Battlefield 3 (highest end game I have) I run the game with no lag at 1900x1080 on High settings (hovers around 60 FPS) but I noticed that my Core temps rise extremely to around 70-75 degrees Celsius.

Compiling maps in Hammer for CSS brings 80 degree temps to core 1 and the intel stress test made it hit 90. my motherboard is set to alarm when my CPU hits 80 and the CPU max temp is said to be 72.5C. If my CPU max temp is 72.5C and it isnt at that temp, can my cores still be that hot while remaining safe?

My main question is: Should I be worried about these temperatures and if I should be, what is the best method to lower my core temp?

here are the 2 comparisons of my temps:

ON IDLE (apart form speedfan itself)
GPU: 45C
Temp1: 43C
Temp2: 25C
Temp3: 36C (CPU?)
Temp: 0C (useless reading)
HD0: 45C
Core 0: 44C
Core 1: 46C (My hot core)
Core 2: 42C

RUNNING BATTLEFIELD 3:
GPU: 67C
Temp1: 45C
Temp2: 25C
Temp3: 65C (CPU? I think so.)
Temp: 0C
HD0: 46C
Core 0: 72C
Core 1: 76C (HOTOTOTOT)
Core 2: 72C

More about : 2600k temps hot

January 4, 2012 3:43:48 AM

(my cpu's useage is at around 46% when getting these temps)
a c 214 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 4:05:57 AM

I would say that those temps are a little high since the Sandy Bridge is not supposed to be a hot running cpu. The gpu temps seem to be normal but not the cpu. Are you using the stock cooler that came with the cpu or an after market one. Did you apply the thermal compound in a thin layer or if using the stock cooler it may have come preapplied to the heatsink. Do you have the heatsink/fan screwed down all the way so it's nice and tight.
Related resources
January 4, 2012 4:08:26 AM

inzone said:
I would say that those temps are a little high since the Sandy Bridge is not supposed to be a hot running cpu. The gpu temps seem to be normal but not the cpu. Are you using the stock cooler that came with the cpu or an after market one. Did you apply the thermal compound in a thin layer or if using the stock cooler it may have come preapplied to the heatsink. Do you have the heatsink/fan screwed down all the way so it's nice and tight.

I am using the stock cooler, i am not sure if the paste was pre applied but i know i havent applied any. im quite sure that my heatsink is nice and firm in its slots. ill check a little later.

i am thinking about getting a new heatsink (maybe a cooler master hyper 212+ or a new fan.
a c 214 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 4:14:51 AM

Do you have good air ciculation inside you case? I s the cpu fan spinning ok and is it being controlled by the motherboards bios. Do you have the fan connector pluged into the cpu fan socket(right side of cpu socket at the top of the motherboard)?
January 4, 2012 4:21:15 AM

inzone said:
Do you have good air ciculation inside you case? I s the cpu fan spinning ok and is it being controlled by the motherboards bios. Do you have the fan connector pluged into the cpu fan socket(right side of cpu socket at the top of the motherboard)?

the fan is spinning fine but i need more fans inside my case. i only have one fan and it's pushing air in. also, i took the sides off the case as i seem to get a 2 degree improvement (although not much, still good). my CPU fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN slot and is registering fine in speedfan. my only other fan in my pc is the stock fan that came with the case. it is located at the back of the case where the PSU should be (my PSU is too big for my case! XD) and is blowing air INTO the case.

today's temperature here is a max of 28 degrees celsius although these PC temps seem to be normal of a daytime anyway. the PC cools down a little at night time though
January 4, 2012 5:36:35 AM

bawchicawawa said:
Making your PSU blow into your case isn't such a good idea.

Get this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This should fix the heating problem.

Thats exactly what i want to get.

when you say "Making your PSU blow into your case isn't such a good idea." i assume you meant the fan i have installed in the case. My PSU is too big to fit inside my case so it is sitting on top of it. i oly have 3 fans:

my PSU fan (outside my case, so useless for cooling inside case)
my heatsink (stock)
1x 120mm fan (came stock with my case)

i'll turn the 120mm fan around so that it sucks air out. I'll also go and get myself another fan and a 212+ heatsink (when i have the money XD)

thanks for your help, bawchicawaw and inzone!
January 4, 2012 5:43:20 AM

"(my PSU is too big for my case! XD) and is blowing air INTO the case. "

Whoops, my bad, i only read that part for some reason >.<, thought you said you had your psu exhausting air into your case.

Poor reading on my part. Oh well, glad to be a help, have a good day.
January 4, 2012 6:43:04 AM

ive heard that the TJMAX (maximum safe temp for processor) is around 100 degrees. if i keep it below 80 it should still be fine?

also, if it isnt, i have the all clear to get a new heatsink or fan. am i better to get a new heatsink and just have 1 case fan or get a case fan and keep the stock heatsink?
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 6:48:37 AM

temp 3 is probably the pcb temp for the 570. Check with afterburner.
January 4, 2012 8:41:05 AM

I personally wouldn't accept anything over 60c at load...

I like to keep my processor at 50-55c at load WITH it being overclocked.

Just get the 212 evo and call it a day, it will decrease your temps DRAMATICALLY.
a c 214 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 5:05:49 PM

The cpu will shut down at 90c and to go over that would damage the cpu. You need to add a few more fans to the case so you can get the hot air out of the case because all you are doing is blowing hot air through the cpu heatsink and it is not cooling it. You will see a dramatic difference if you add a couple of case fane and get a good air flow through your case. Even if you get the new cpu fan you will still be blowing hot air through it if you don't add the case fans.
You said that you have one fan now , where in the case is it located? A good fan placement would be one 120mm in the front of the case , one 120mm in the top of the case , one 80 or 120mm fan in the reaf of the case and a 120mm fan on the side panel of the case. If there are no places for these fans then you can always make one the case is made up of thin metal or even plastic so you can cut out holes to place the fans where you need them.

January 4, 2012 11:26:08 PM

bit to high
January 5, 2012 12:29:48 AM

the one fan i have in my case is at the back of the case. I'll get myself a 212+ evo and maybe 1 or 2 new fans. I don't have any thermal paste on my CPU. is thermal paste necessary? should i get some arctic silver 5?

EDIT: maybe i do have thermal paste on my cpu. (if i didnt it'd fry, right?) still. stock paste ok?
a c 214 à CPUs
January 5, 2012 1:01:27 AM

You should install the fans for sure and if you buy the 212 evo it will come with stock paste in a small tube , I would get a small tube of Arctic Silver 5. Make sure that you clean off the cpu before you apply it in a thin even layer.
January 6, 2012 12:36:51 AM

I bought another fan and i see no temp difference. :( 
January 6, 2012 6:25:48 AM

waht about the 212 evo size? will it fit on the Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard?
a c 184 à CPUs
January 6, 2012 7:37:09 AM

Yes it will fit on any motherboard that the heatsink supports, its just if your case can fit it :) 
!