EMachines EL1352 replace hard drive

v62695

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Good evening all,

My son has an eMachines EL1352 system but was having some problems with light gaming, mostly WOW. I have a Dell (better video card) and only use it for household and light office stuff. I switched out the hard drives recently and my son is now using my Dell system with his hard drive and having no problems at all. My Dell system used XP Pro SP3 and my sons eMachines came with Windows 7. When I put my hard drive into the eMachines computer I got the "blue screen" and was only able to work in safe mode. I then took my hard drive and put it into an enclosure (USB connection, no shunt) and upon booting up screen went black and used terms "boot, etc..." I then took my enclosure to another computer running XP and it did find the drive as "Local Disk I" and I was able to access the files on my drive. I thought I read somewhere that you cannot replace a hard drive in an eMachines unless something is done to the BIOS, but I could be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated. Of course the one day I actually need the drive, it's inaccessible.

Thanks again!
Vanessa

Solution
You can't just swap hdd's across from one machine, unless both systems are identical in all harwdrae and bios configuration.

The reason the swap from eMachine to Dell worked, is because W7 has a larger driver database and can reconfigure itself far better than XP.

To continue using XP on the eMachine, you will need to install the XP motherboard chipset, video, network and sound drivers and pray it all works.
You can't just swap hdd's across from one machine, unless both systems are identical in all harwdrae and bios configuration.

The reason the swap from eMachine to Dell worked, is because W7 has a larger driver database and can reconfigure itself far better than XP.

To continue using XP on the eMachine, you will need to install the XP motherboard chipset, video, network and sound drivers and pray it all works.

Solution

v62695

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

LOL, thanks much! I was pretty much sure that was the situation. Sadly I don't even think the prayers would help. I don't really like eMachines much and should have stuck with another. Thank you again for your help!

TRENDING THREADS