Newegg "OUT OF STOCK" on 6970's

ben110

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Ok, I'm build a computer for my friend. Our (mine) original idea was to go with the Sapphire 6970, it went out of stock, then we wanted XFX, by the time we wanted to order it went OOS too :(

He ended up purchasing the GIGABYTE GV-R697UD-2GD REV2.0 Radeon HD 6970. We wanted two of these cards BUT he decided to get one and if the computer worked with one he would get the second. I warned him that it would go OOS too, and it did. I also noticed that the GTX 590 went OOS, not that we wanted to buy it.

So what should we do now? The card is still in the mail and will probably come in 2 days. I remember reading that you can't put a reference card and a non-reference if CF. The GIGABYTE is a non-reference as I understand because it has 3 fans and it doesn't have AMD written above the PCI-E pins. I don't see it anywhere online so.....

4745454b

Titan
Flashable 6950s are all but gone. On used forums they sometimes go for more then a new 6970. Keep it in mind, but don't expect to find one.

Anyone have a reason for this OOS issue? AMD having yield issues or they just getting bought up to fast?