Possible upgrade to my current computer cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hi I am on a very tight budget and have been playing SWTOR (Star Wars) on my HP computer since it has come out. My current vid card is an xfx 6770 and psu is 500 watt ocmod.

However I've been wondering how badly my cpu might be holding me back and am looking to see if I can upgrade it to make a difference in improving performance. As of right now my cpu is an AMD athlon x2 220 regor 2.8 ghz. I was looking at the HP support site and it says that my motherboard can support up athlon-phenom series as long as it is of the 95 watt version. Pasted below is the link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02458055&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4216558&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N31

Now. How big of an upgrade would it possibly be if I went to an athlon x3 455 for example. I ask because it is very cheap cpu and in my budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like a very good option thank you very much for the response. I have a follow-up to that. What kind of cpu cooler would be compatible since it is an OEM. Is picking up any am3 cpu cooler going to work with my mATX mb?

If you go for the AMD Athlon II X4 640 (which is what I recommend), it comes with a stock cooler that will work fine in your system. I am reversing myself on the AMD Phenom II X4 925, that wouldn't be much of a upgrade.

I reversed myself on the 925 because it is 2.8GHz, same as your current CPU. So you would only be getting the extra cores and no speed bump. The 640, on the other hand, gives you the extra cores, a speed increase, and extra cache memory all for about the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.