Solved

HD 6870 AND Phenom II X4 with 430W PSU in September $500 gaming build?

In the September $500 budget gaming build (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032-4.html), they had a Phenom II X4 955 @ 125W and an HD 6870 @ 247W at full load according to bit-tech.com (254W according to Maximum PC.com), which adds up to 372W. The PSU they used, which I also have, is an Antec Earthwatts 430W and can allow for 384W on the 12V rails.

So my question is....

How in the world is that system (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032-14.html) only drawing 317W, AND while being overclocked, with CPU and GPU at FULL LOAD? :heink: According to my above calculations, it should be drawing 372W at least, without even factoring in added 12V wattage from the case fans, drive motors, RAM, etc. What's going on here? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Augray
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6870 phenom 430w september gaming build
  1. Because the cpu's TDP of 125 is NOT the amount of wattage it draws .

Its the amount of wattage it can draw before it starts to shut its self down to prevent damage . It has much more to do with the design of the processor package and recommended coolers than it does with power consumption
    Worse still intel and AMD have no common way of measuring or deciding what a TDP should be

The graphics card numbers you have there are completely wrong too. An entire phenom/6870 rig probably pulls around 260 - 270 watts
  2. Outlander_04 said:
    Because the cpu's TDP of 125 is NOT the amount of wattage it draws .

Its the amount of wattage it can draw before it starts to shut its self down to prevent damage .

I'm not sure i follow...If 125W is not the amount of watts drawn by the CPU at full load, then what is?

Outlander_04 said:
    The graphics card numbers you have there are completely wrong too. An entire phenom/6870 rig probably pulls around 260 - 270 watts

Hmm...i have been misled lol...i didn't realize that the numbers i found were for full rigs. How does one find out how many watts a GPU will draw? Thanks for your answer!
  3. Best answer
    Augray37 said:
    I'm not sure i follow...If 125W is not the amount of watts drawn by the CPU at full load, then what is?

This is a very good question

The TDP is a random number plucked out of a hat the day before they print the box . However its safe to assume two things

1/ the package [ board , silicon wafer , head spreader glued on top] wont ever fall apart if you pump that number of watts in when you have a recommended heatsink on

2/ people arguing that their cpu is better because the TDP is 95 watt instead of 125 have no idea what they are talking about
  4. Best answer selected by Augray37.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Build Phenom Systems