Heatsink problem getting a bit worried.

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Ok, i got two questions about my heafsink fan its a Thermaltake SpinQ VT - i know its not the best on out there but i like it mainly because of aesthetics reasons but im pretty sure it still does it job to cool my procie.

1.) The speed aint moving. Its frozen at 17rpm, there is a manual switch/knob thingy attached to the HSF but my casing is closed so i really cant toggle it every now and then to adjust to my temps. Yes smart setting is off in the bios which makes in run 100% all the time which is DOESNT since max rpm on it was 19 i tried. My temps arent really hot, i got 60 Celcius on package and the rest are around 55-59 Celciums - is that warm or still ok? so maybe this is the reason why the RPM does not increase.

2.) Is there a software Aside from speedfan that might adjust the fan speeds? that software does not seem to work for me even at installation i get problems and i dont seem to know how to use it very well sorry :(

thanks a million.

Specs

Intel i5-2400
Gigabyte h61m-usb3-b3
Gigabyte Gtx 560 ti OC
G.Skill ripjaws 8GB
1TB hitachi
320 WD
SpinQ VT
Hec cougar 700w

tlmck

Distinguished
I would either replace the fan on the cooler with one of the same size that just plugs into the motherboard. Gigabyte fan control is pretty good. Alternately, you could scrap that cooler and get one of the Coolermaster Hyper TX coolers. They are not very expensive.

Hi :)

I have seen this problem before on a couple of machines.... the fan is NOT actually running at 19 rpm...if it was you could physically see the fan turning very slowly..... so take off the side of the case and LOOK at the fan....if you cannot see the blades because its spinning then its a bad reading on speed through the software NOT the fan actually going that slowly....

All the best Brett :)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
As Brett said, open the side panel and take a look.

19RPM would mean the fan is only spinning around 19 times per minute (once every 3 seconds), this is VERRRRRRRRY SLOW and obviously wouldn't provide much, if any cooling at all.

60 Degree's is a good temperature if the system is in use, most Intel Systems seem to idle around 25-35 degree's and reach 55-65 degree's under load. I wouldn't worry too much unless you see your CPU passing the 75 degree mark.

Mastersaofan

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
im using CPUID monitor and it said

FANIN0 17 RPM...if i max the speed using the switch connected mainly to the HSF to max it goes only up to 23 RPM...not 19 sorry, anyway i still think thats slow right? the blades are spinning though and no doubt if those temps i posted we're not bad then its pretty much doing its job.

So does this mean my temp monitoring software is faulty?
i dont want to leave it at Max because its vibrating like hell. (unless thats ok )

PS. its mounted properly on the mobo.