My monitor is suddenly displaying with large black border around it

mimiy2k

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hello,

All of a sudden, my monitor on my Sony Vaio using Windows XP started displaying wuth a big black border around it so the actual display area was reduced in the middle as when in Safe Mode. I went into Control Panel>Display and changed the setting to 1024X768 (it had somehow changed by itself to lowest display setting). This enlarged the display area quite a bit but there is still about a 1.5 inch black border on left and right and about a 1/4" border on top ad bottom. Also, when I go on the Web ad try to scroll down, the entire web page "waves" top to bottom each time (such as with every press of down arrow).

I then went to:
Control_Panel/Display/Display_Properties/Resources.
the following list of conflicting devices displays:
Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
Mobile Intel(R) 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express PCI Express Root Port - 27A1
Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
Mobile Intel(R) 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express PCI Express Root Port - 27A1
Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:
Mobile Intel(R) 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express PCI Express Root

Is this(suddenly) causing the problem? If so, how do I fix? If not, what might be causing this problem and what might I do to fix it?

Thanks!
Mimi

americanbrian

Distinguished
Did you install new hardware in any way? The drivers for your graphics card are bugged out.

The OS seems to be using the generic windows driver as opposed to the hardware specific one.

Try re-installing the Intel GFX driver and see if this resolves the conflict (uninstall the conflicting ones in device manager and reboot should pretty much have the same effect)

If you just want to regain your screen real estate put the resolution to 1280x1024 which is likely the native display res.

Good Luck!

Your monitor is displaying like it is because the graphics card refresh rate has changed. Check that the display driver is correct for your graphics card and that you are not using the generic windows driver. If the driver is correct then look in desktop properties, settings, advanced, monitor and check that the refresh rate is correct for you monitor.