Picture viewer/translator--Which one works best on a Mac?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 8, 2005 6:33:41 AM

I have some (hundreds) older photos I can't open "archived" in a hard
drive. I was using OS 9 (on a Mac). They are either missing some data
or I don't have the proper graphic program to open it. Most are JPEG
Picture Viewer documents. Does anyone know of a graphic viewer or
translator that I can open and view these files and then change their
format to a jpeg? I need something that will work natively in OS10.3+.
Any shareware or freeware?
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 10:03:51 AM

In article <1112952821.288715.15570@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Curious <4davew@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some (hundreds) older photos I can't open "archived" in a hard
> drive. I was using OS 9 (on a Mac). They are either missing some data
> or I don't have the proper graphic program to open it. Most are JPEG
> Picture Viewer documents. Does anyone know of a graphic viewer or
> translator that I can open and view these files and then change their
> format to a jpeg? I need something that will work natively in OS10.3+.
> Any shareware or freeware?

Can't beat GraphicConverter.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:42:47 PM

In article <1112952821.288715.15570@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Curious" <4davew@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some (hundreds) older photos I can't open "archived" in a hard
> drive. I was using OS 9 (on a Mac). They are either missing some data
> or I don't have the proper graphic program to open it. Most are JPEG
> Picture Viewer documents. Does anyone know of a graphic viewer or
> translator that I can open and view these files and then change their
> format to a jpeg? I need something that will work natively in OS10.3+.
> Any shareware or freeware?

I agree with the recommendation for GraphicConverter:

http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm

Not only can it import and convert to whatever format you want, with as
many bells and whistles as a one-man band convention, it's also been
able to show me "broken" JPEGs other image viewers can't. When Preview
says "This file is corrupt", GC shows me the picture, which more often
than not has a few discolored blocks of pixels and nothing more wrong
with it. If GC can't open your files, I daresay nothing can.

----j7y

--
jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
(440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings

If you can somehow get them on your desktop, CD, file share or whatever,
you might try dropping the individual images onto iPhoto (if you have
it). I've had good luck with some other formats. good luck..... TRR

!