560 ti and 6950 bandwitdh question

Status
Not open for further replies.

todaytomorrow

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hello all.

I'd like to ask a question, which would help me decide which gpu to buy.

on bit-tech ATI/AMD 6950 has 160GB/sec bandwidth and GTX 560 Ti has 128. They have the same ROPs and rasterisers, but the 6950 has more texture units (88 vs 64) and 560 Ti has more tessallation units (8 vs 2). Both 1Gb.

On benchmarks and reviews, the two are very close to each other.
Now my question, why does the bigger bandwidth of the 6950 not put it on top of the 560 Ti?
I thought bigger bandwidth means better performance. Unless other factors come into play? Steam processors or frequency?

Solution

It does and it doesn't as the architecture of the cards is so different, that's why in some games the ATi card will be faster and in others the Nvidia card will come out on top either way neither card will usually use all of the PCIe bandwidth available.

Well it's obvious really, the ATi logo is red and the Nvidia logo is green, nuh! And you never want to steam your processors, it's much better to lightly grill them with just a pinch of seasoning. [:mousemonkey]

It does and it doesn't as the architecture of the cards is so different, that's why in some games the ATi card will be faster and in others the Nvidia card will come out on top either way neither card will usually use all of the PCIe bandwidth available.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.