When are HDD prices expected to drop?

Chris3455

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
When are HDD prices expected to drop? I'm in need of a 1 TB HDD but pricing is ridiculous...I was told that prices will drop in 2012 but when exactly?

Don't both with WD, their drives have been going down the drain when it comes to quality. A few years ago they were the best for what most could or knew to afford. However they have pretty much pissed that into the wind. I've gone over to Hitachi, they are surprisingly fast for the cost and haven't given me any problems. They run cool and silent. I got 5 of them, two 1TB and three 2TB that I bought before the prices gone to the Moon, mars, and the stars beyond.

I agree with nforce about WD. In one year I owned three WD 1 TB HDD's in my HP and none lasted more than a year. The first lasted a few months then took a dump on me. The second one was defective out of the box. The third and final 1 TB Cavier Black I owned lasted a few weeks and again took a dump on me.I then switched to a 1 TB Seagate barracuda and have had no problems. I also have a 1 TB Barracuda in my gaming build and again no problems.

I agree and am glad that Seagate has improved since their failures. Had everything from bad spindle motors to bad media with their drives in the past but their new drives appear more solid than WD does now. When you got a WB Blue 1TB is getting beat by a 640GB Seagate 2.5 laptop drive then you know WD is crap.

rex86

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I found this on other forums http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2011/12/02/western-digital-lifts-dec-qtr-view-restarts-thai-mfg-shrs-up/ so I guess the prices should start to drop around the end of 2012.

Anyway if you're rich there's no need to wait for a whole year.

matt9112

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
i have used seagate mostly for cost for a few years...no issues...yet i have never had a bad HDD in my life so....i cant say much.

loneninja

Distinguished

When I checked last week prices were the highest I've seen in years in the US. Checked local shops and online retailers like newegg.com and tigerdirect.com

As to the what hard drives are reliable talk, I've owned seagate, WD, Hitatchi, and Samsung. Out of nearly 20 hard drives only 1 had failed and it was a Hitatchi brand drive that came in a dell laptop. That was like 4 years ago though, so can't comment on their current quality.

Ah..no they're not. Here in the US the prices are still through the roof. On Newegg a 1TB HDD is $150 or more. Last spring when I bought the 1TB replacement as mentioned in my story above it cost only $89.

nutter87

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I had noticed (a bit late) that I posted an article too old. My mistake.
But I still think there's a decrease here. The price BOOM here in BG may have been bigger than in US and that may be why I see a change in a favourable direction now....

I gotta compare things between here and on newegg for example.
Thanks for the info, RDS1220!