Time for a new CPU?

Miraho

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I currently have an MSI G31M3-F Socket 775 DDR2 MS-7528 Motherboard as seen here http://www.amazon.com/MSI-G31M3-F-Socket-MS-7528-Motherboard/dp/B001AM9BXE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HLA0VOFZO344&colid=3MDHFD67Z8DTL

I run an intel duo core stock @ 3.0 GHZ.

I have been thinking of upgrading to quad core, i noticed this mobo says it supports Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo.

I have been wondering anyone that uses ATX motherboards, and quad core, what is best to swap this out so I can plug and play? Recommendations...I'd like to not spend over 200 dollars.

I will admit I am doing this for SWTOR, though that game is clearly not optimized proficiently yet, but it may be time.

I would prefer to not have to invest in any new cooling systems (my case is a cool master FAN based system with NO LIQUID).

If there is an after stock fan I should use I am fine with that.

Recommendations?

All the quad cores are too expensive except old q6600's, which run well if the msi board has some basic overclocking options in the bios. Check anandtech's for sale forum for used q6600 cpus and try to get the stock heatsink for it. I wouldn't spend over $90 shipped for it.