Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Choosing new GPU. Specs included.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 3, 2011 12:50:41 PM

Hey everyone, any advice on what GPU would be best for my system? Any/All help is appreciated, Thanks in advance! :) 

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3
CPU - Intel I3 Dual Core Sandy Bridge 3.1ghz
Current GPU - Asus Geforce 9500 Gt
Ram - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 1:56:05 PM

Depends on a few more things.
What resolution ?
What PSU (Make and Model as well as Wattage) ?
What do you want to be able to do and in what order ? Gaming watching movies etc.
Which Sandy bridge exactly ?

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
August 3, 2011 10:03:04 PM

mactronix said:
Depends on a few more things.
What resolution ?
What PSU (Make and Model as well as Wattage) ?
What do you want to be able to do and in what order ? Gaming watching movies etc.
Which Sandy bridge exactly ?

Mactronix :) 

Hey Mactronix. Thanks for the response, and sorry for the lack of info.

Res - 1920x1280
PSU - Turbolink LC-A420ATX 12v 420W.
CPU - i3-2100, 3.10 GHz, 3MB Cache, LGA1155, 65W

I would like to upgrade the card for gaming, would it be worth it to get a DX11 card? Also i realize i may need to upgrade my PSU as well. I'm also playing on an ASUS MS236H display. Thanks for all the help!
m
0
l
Related resources
August 3, 2011 10:03:57 PM

Infinite4...I personally would upgrade your Power Supply, to at least a 650 watt. Preferably a brand name like Antec, Corsair, Enermax etc. With the specs of your system, which are pretty good for gaming...especially your CPU and mobo. Once you purchased a good P.S., then I would suggest, if a fan of Nvidia, a Geforce GTX 460, or if a fan of AMD (ATI), what about a Radeon HD6850.
m
0
l
August 3, 2011 10:21:37 PM

Th_Redman said:
Infinite4...I personally would upgrade your Power Supply, to at least a 650 watt. Preferably a brand name like Antec, Corsair, Enermax etc. With the specs of your system, which are pretty good for gaming...especially your CPU and mobo. Once you purchased a good P.S., then I would suggest, if a fan of Nvidia, a Geforce GTX 460, or if a fan of AMD (ATI), what about a Radeon HD6850.

Thanks Th_Redman, I figured I would have to upgrade the P.S. I think I may go with the Geforce GTX 460 or 560. Also looking at a COUGAR CMX 700 P.S. Any objections?
m
0
l
August 3, 2011 10:40:09 PM

Looks like a good P.S. I never heard of Cougar but after checking your suggested pick on Newegg and another spec site...looks like a good choice. Good luck...and good gaming!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 11:19:24 PM

the 6850 and an oc'ed quad core will run on an antec earthwatts 380w psu no problem, althoguh it is overpriced right now on the egg. It is silent and efficient I have it in a backup rig with an oc'ed quad and a 5770 and it runs like a dream.

I would avoid the cougar personally. I like sticking with antec corsair xfx and seasonic
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 11:21:11 PM

you def do not need 650w to run a gtx 460 or 6850, especially the later
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
August 4, 2011 7:19:28 AM

infinite4 said:
Thanks Th_Redman, I figured I would have to upgrade the P.S. I think I may go with the Geforce GTX 460 or 560. Also looking at a COUGAR CMX 700 P.S. Any objections?


I have never heard of that make of PSU, Without researching it properly i cant say if its good or bad. Personally i would rather go with the Corsair unit for the same price.
Just my personal preference though. A 6850 would be a good GPU for that set up. Depends on budget really you certainly will notice a huge difference from a 9500.
You could go higher GPU wise but unless your really into gaming you don't need to.

Mactronix :) 

m
0
l
!