BF3 high settings, ~$1100 limit

andysfile

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hi, I'm wondering if there is anything I could improve value-wise with my selection so far. I know Battlefield 3 is still in beta but I can probably assume this will run it on good settings at 1900x1200. I copied the template from the pinned topic and below that are parts I've already chosen. Also, please mention if I'm somehow missing a critical part (i.e. motherboard doesn't fit in case :p) Also I'm wondering what your recommendations are for a CPU cooler.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month.

Budget Range: 1100AUD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing BF3 and keeping PC for a few years before it goes significantly out of date.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, RAM, DVD trays, SSD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.co.uk, any other sites I missed.

Country of Origin: Australia.

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia preferred.

Overclocking: If cooler permits.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Quiet or potential to be upgraded later to be quiet (watercooling for example). Would prefer a window on the side of the case but open to other cases.

Parts so far ($990)
1.28GB GeForce GTX 570 Graphics Card PCI-E Nvidia

Cm Storm Mid Tower Scout Case

Intel i5 2500k

ASUS 1155 P8P67-M REV 3.0 S/L M-ATX

andysfile

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I just checked when it comes out and I should wait for the benchmarks. But if Bulldozer only slightly outperforms the i5 or i7, I'd still rather go Intel as I'm more familiar with them. So no, I don't plan on getting BD.

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
i dont know if it only takes 2 or 3. to be safe i would get ddr3.
if you want to go cheaper on the cooler you will have to get air cooling. they dont sell good budget coolers at mwave. best i could find below $50

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-18020303-OCZ_Vendetta_2_CPU_Cooler_Support_AM2_LGA775_(OCZTVEND2)