Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Exchange 6970 Crossfire for 570 SLI??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 2:48:36 PM

Hey guys just got done building my first gaming PC and I'm not 100% happy with the graphics cards, the Radeon 6970 CF. Dont get me wrong im getting some excellent benchmarks with the cards and produce excellent graphics at blazing frame rates. BUT I found out that running the cards in CF does not support hd3d and I love 3d gaming. 3d gaming is actually one of the main reasons I built this PC. Im still in my return window for the GPUs. So I'm looking at exchanging for the EVGA Superclocked GTX 570s SLI which are about the same price as the two 6970s. Anyone have any problems running 570 sli in 3d?

Should I trade the more powerful 6970s for 2 570s with better support(3d & Nvidia physics).

Display I'm using my Panny vt30 3dtv right now so I'm limited to 1080@24hz or 720@60hz. Planning on buying a good 3d monitor soon or triple monitors if at good price.

Anyone know the difference between the superclocked and Reg version of the evga 570. I only saw 732 vs 797mhz core clock speed. How much real world difference (FPS) would that account for if any at all?

I also read the evga 570s had some VRM problems in SLI. Anyone experience this?
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 3:10:13 PM

I've found that overclocking the core gives a pretty linear increase in FPS no matter what the card, so if the superclocked version is about 10% faster you will get about 10% more FPS.

I have no personal experience with 570s, but my 465s in SLI run 3D great, if you plan to get a 3D monitor you will want to make the switch because AMD won't let you run anything over 720p at 60hz per eye even if the screen supports it, and no CF support for 3D as you have found out.

Score
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2011 8:36:44 AM

benski said:
I've found that overclocking the core gives a pretty linear increase in FPS no matter what the card, so if the superclocked version is about 10% faster you will get about 10% more FPS.

I have no personal experience with 570s, but my 465s in SLI run 3D great, if you plan to get a 3D monitor you will want to make the switch because AMD won't let you run anything over 720p at 60hz per eye even if the screen supports it, and no CF support for 3D as you have found out.

Hmm 10% can make a difference. Thanks for the info benski.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 4:04:11 PM

I definitely support the change. For 3D gaming, you need about twice the power you normally need. For someone who likes to have all the visuals turned up, a single 580 won't get the job done.

You might have to put your sights to a wider range of cards in the exchange. It may be difficult to find the exact model of 570 that you want, but as long as they can be overclocked, the end result is the same as long as you can overclock it to the same frequencies.
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 6:52:36 PM

bystander said:
I definitely support the change. For 3D gaming, you need about twice the power you normally need. For someone who likes to have all the visuals turned up, a single 580 won't get the job done.

You might have to put your sights to a wider range of cards in the exchange. It may be difficult to find the exact model of 570 that you want, but as long as they can be overclocked, the end result is the same as long as you can overclock it to the same frequencies.

Thanks for all the expert advice guys. I went to go pick up the 570s and came across an amazing deal on an EVGA 590 Classified Limited Ed. that I couldn't pass up. Only $549 new at Microcenter, that's almost the price of the 580. I'm getting great results and it's sooo quiet compared to the AMDs. Running everything maxed in 3d. Yea!

From what I understand the evga 590 has a lifetime warranty that even covers overclocking which is nice b/c I read they had a few issues with the cards overheating when they first came out. Updated drivers have fixed that problem.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 6:55:24 PM

Best answer selected by Swolern.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 9, 2011 6:59:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!