Will dvi 24+1 adapter work with dvi 24+5 graphic card?

luv2break

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
i just got a used 9800gt 1gb graphic card,and it has two DVI ports,i think its called DVI 24+5,since i dont have that cable,i have VGA instead,i bought a DVI adapter,but unfortuantely there wasnt the same one in the shop,so i bought dvi 24+1 male to VGA female,and it didnt work,is it not supposed to work,or can i do something so that it can work,please help me fast....thanks...

luv2break

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

Thanx a lot,and r u sure its not the graphic card problem,because i went to the shop the second time,he gave me the same dvi adapter,i.e 24+1,just there were some color changes on the adapter,and that guy said it will work,and i tried that too,but this time my monitor displayed power saving mode,and on the previous adapter it was showing no signal...so should i check more shops for the correct dvi or is it something with the graphic card...

And yea,after installing the graphic card,when i connect the vga to the motherboard,it doesnt work,but when i remove the graphic card,everything works fine,please someone explain to me....thanks

When you install a new graphics card, you connect the cable to the new graphics card, not the motherboard.

And you'd be hard pressed to find an analog cable to use all 5 of those pins. I have two cables I'm using now with just the 1 extra wide pin. They work fine on my last 3 cards.