Upgrading/Canabalizing from Vaio VPCF1190X

juddernaught

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I currently have a Sony Vaio VPCF1190X that I enjoy, but it is not adequate to play new-gen games (specifically BF3). I am contemplating an upgrade but don't want to break the bank (hoping to be under $1000), so I've been looking into building my own desktop - which I have never done.

Question 1: Can/Should I take any parts from the VPCF1190X? Its specs are...

Either Intel Core i7-720QM or i7-820QM processor (it's not in front of me)
nVidia GeForce GT 330M
1 4GB DDR3 RAM
320GB Hard Drive 5400rpm
Either BluRay Combo or Player (it's not in front of me)

Question 2: What should I build? I've been browsing newegg and I can't decide what I need.

I'm looking for a system that will last (hard to do, I know), so I'm thinking I need a top of the line processor (I like Intel) which can handle future games. Obviously I need a good graphics card, but I'm not sure what to pick as they range from $200 to $2000 - I am partial to nVidia.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Solution
If you want to build a desktop I don't think you will be using any laptop parts to do it with. Laptop memory won't fit on a desktop board, the hdd is slow - 5400rpm - could use it for storage. And I don't believe the bluray player will connect, could be wrong. And the video chip set is that, a chipset, graphed onto the mobo. So you will have to start from scratch.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz------------------------------------------------------$220
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3-------------------------------------------------------------------$125
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) -------------------------------------------------2 sets $104
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 for...

suteck

Distinguished
If you want to build a desktop I don't think you will be using any laptop parts to do it with. Laptop memory won't fit on a desktop board, the hdd is slow - 5400rpm - could use it for storage. And I don't believe the bluray player will connect, could be wrong. And the video chip set is that, a chipset, graphed onto the mobo. So you will have to start from scratch.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz------------------------------------------------------$220
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3-------------------------------------------------------------------$125
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) -------------------------------------------------2 sets $104
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 for ------------------------------------------------------------------$100
Seasonic SS-850HT 850W ATX12V for--------------------------------------------------------- $130
EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) for ----------------------------------------$130
OR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) for -----------------------------------------------------------$140 don't know much about nvidia
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III for--------------------------------------------$105 and storage is
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB for ----------------------------------------------------$55
SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-/+R 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray for------ $65
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$1,044
That's a good starting point. You and others can pick it apart and choose different combos as you wish. Just wanted to give you a guide to start with. You can go with half the memory which will save you $52 and leave off the ssd which will save you another $105 and add them later to keep it under $1K. Or save it there and spend it on the 2600K processor for more performance. And if you're gonna overclock you will want to add a better cpu cooler than the stock one that comes with it.

Solution

juddernaught

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

I know nothing about overclocking and am very intimitated by it. I might browse the overclocking forums if I feel adventurous...

Thanks for the starting build. I've looked at the DIY kits, but am still a little out of touch on what I'd need.

suteck

Distinguished
Overclocking used to be for hardcore performance junkies or people who liked to play with computers. With the new sandy bridge's you mostly just up the multiplyer, watch your temps and as you go up add some voltage to the cpu. Look it up and so some research, you'll see it's not too hard. Still want to be careful and go slow.

DIY kits are a little scary. sometimes you get a good mobo but a half asd cpu, sometimes it's the other way around. Good case,- yucky memory. And what's so doityourself if they pick most of your parts??? And lots of the time it's 1 or 2 components they don't restock and just want to get rid of em. lol You can always start a new thread for building your own, copy and paste what I put down, or close to it and get people's opinion about what's better or worse. Desktops are great. I have a laptop for doing little things and on the go but you can't beat a good desktop I always say.