Core i5 2500k temps nearing 80C at full load with *no overclocking*!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Guys, I am thinking about OC'ing my i5 2500k. Currently it has no modifications whatsoever. I decided to run prime95 on "SmallFFTs" setting, and tracked the cores temperatures with PC Wizard 2010. After about 30 seconds of all 4 cores at 100% load they started surpassing 75 C, at which point I thought it better to cancel the test. I use Intel's stock fan and I leave my case open for maximum ventilation. Is this temperature supposed to happen?

Thanks!!!

I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + which is basically the same as the Evo. It works well with my Intel Core i7-2600K. One thing I would put out with is that you want to make sure that the memory that you are using is doesn't have some great big heatspreaders on it that will hit the bottom of the cooler.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Here is a trick to test to make sure that your HSF (heatsink/fan) is seated well. Reach in and grab each of the four twist clips and pull straight up. If any of them come up than the stock HSF isnt seated right. When you seat the stock HSF on the Intel® processors you do them in a cross pattern so bottom right to top left, than bottom left to top right and this will help ensure that you get the best seating of the HSF.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Hi Christian and thanks for your reply :) I turned off the computer and did what you described. The twist clips were quite firm and none of them moved with repeated pulls. I already expected them to be so, as it was my technician who installed the processor for me.
Could it be perhaps that the fan's max speed isn't as fast as it should be, for some reason? I use a DZ68DB mobo with the latest BIOS and a 650 Watts power supply.

Nantes

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
I have been researching a bit and temperatures of 80~85 in the prime95 test are indeed regular for the stock cooler. Time to order a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, the best available in Brazil currently, and quite cheap as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.