I just made this new build (all components are new except HDD):
- Asrock Z77 Etreme4 Motherboard
- Antec Neo Eco 520 PSU
- i5 3570k CPU
- 2X4GB Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM
- XFX HD 7770 Core Ed. 1GB GPU (Catalyst 12.10)
- Samsung 830 64gb SSD (boot disk)
- WD Sata2 160GB HDD (storage, reused from old pc)
- Win7 Home Premium 64 bit
Right off the bat I have frequent app crashes, fairly frequent BSOD's (every 1-2 hours of use), and some system freezes. I've done the following to try to diagnose the problem:
- Updated BIOS, Windows and all drivers (w/ SlimDrivers).
- ran MemTest86+, Initially I got 1 error on 4th pass. Tested sticks one at a time 5+ passes with no errors, tested again 6 passes after replacing psu, no errors.
- ran chkdsk on HDD, no errors.
- replaced psu (was using an older 460 watt from another pc).
- checked all mobo connections, checked socket for bent pins.
- reinstalled windows and updates, reinstalled again after replacing psu.
- ran without video card, using onboard gpu.
None of this has resolved the issue. I think the problem is the motherboard, or maybe the CPU. However I am considering buying some more ram to test with that (don't want wait on the rma for that, and then most likely have to rma the motherboard as well). Any thoughts on what else I can do to diagnose the problem, or opinions on what the problem is, would be greatly appreciated.
Update: I bought 2 more identical sticks of ram (Patriot PGD38G1600ELK). When I got it, both sticks were completely dead, just got 'no memory installed' errors on POST- won't be buying this brand again any time soon. RMA'ed all the ram and expecting the replacement to come in today. Also I noticed on newegg where I got this stuff that another person posted a review with an identical cpu/mobo/ram setup and identical issues, fixed it by replacing the ram with another brand.