Real Magic Hollywood Plus for AVI?

G

I have a card with tv-out (ASUS V7700), but the tv-out function sucks pretty much either due to drivers, or the hardware itself. So I'm looking for a good addon card.
After reading a lot of reviews I came up with the Real Magic Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder Card which was found best.
Does anyone know if this card can play AVI's too? Or is it really limited to mpeg decoding?

Thx in advance

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you have bad video out?
I have the asus v6600 deluxe and video out at 800x600 is the best video out I've seen on a video card. Your TV must be crappy. Or you must not understand TV versus Computer monitors. TVs have HORRIBLE dot pitch, meanint text looks crappy at its best. But games like half life are real fun to play if you don't have to read the text. And when I put out DivX ;-) and DVD movies the quality is just as good as the DVD. I suggest you get the best drivers and you tweak them too. And make sure your not using an adapter for your TV out. If your TV doesnt have s-video do not expect good TV out from any card.

G

I'm not stupid ok!
I have a V7700 directly hooked up to my Sony 100hz flatscreen 29" tv (crap, huh!) with a $30 s-video cable to the tv's s-video in.
The problem is that with the chip on the GTS2 (a chrontel chip) there are no good drivers for it, like for the Geforce (a Brooktree chip) which has many progs!!!!
With this [-peep-] chrontel chip I only get a picture for about 2/3 of the tv screen, so I have huge black borders to the left, right, top and bottom.
There is no way to zoom in or out.
So don't call me stupid, I know what I'm doing

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I didn't know the v7700 had a different video out chip than the earlier deluxe models from asus. Thats a bad move in asus's part. I know that with my card there are tweaks for moving the image around on the TV and also for adjusting the black, and size of the 800x600 picture. Thats all I meant by make sure you tweak. Cause the first time I plugged in my v6600 to the TV it looked like crap too, but then I adjusted the flicker filter, and the black levels and it was fine afterwords.

I didn't mean to insult you if I did.
I'm sowwy will you ever forgive me?

G

Sure, there was never any harm done.
I just "hate" when, you know.