How do Pins Bend?

15outland

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Hi,

So, I ask this question as my previous board had bent/broken pins, only bought the new board 3 weeks ago, to find dual channel isn't working due to.. you guessed it, bent pins.

I always install the CPU ever to careful though, so I can't understand how come I get bent pins so easily, I will admit, most time when install the motherboard back into the case, I tend to hold the board up by the heat sink (CM V8), I don't know if that is playing a major factor or what, I really can't see anything that could be causing it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Solution
It should not matter if pins are slightly bent. As long as they insert effortlessly (should require nothing more than the CPU's own weight) in the ZIF socket, they should be straight enough to make contact in the ZIF socket once you lower the locking lever.

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
when you receive the motherboard, is it used? does it have the plastic black cover over the cpu socket? from what i understand that plastic cover is suppose to protect the pins during shipment.

as for picking up the mobo by the cpu cooler, i do that all the time and while i do worry about it breaking something i have not come across problems.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

I was half kidding. I have no idea how you are bending pins. I've never bent any pins on any boards or CPU's and I've swapped the several different CPU's to several different boards.

Are you positive that it's caused by bent pins? Have you tried rotating a single DIMM through all the sockets until you find one that won't POST?

It's usually pretty difficult to bend pins unless you're deliberately careless and many manufacturers will accept an RMA for something like this.

15outland

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Well, I've tried every possible thing to get it to work, I figured at first it couldn't be bent pins, til I took the motherboard out, and saw few bent pins, but then again, those pins may not even be for the memory, and in fact the motherboard could be faulty, I really have no idea, but the fact that is does indeed have few bent pins, makes be believe that is the problem, I did try and fix them, did my very best, and got most them up, but the problem still exists.

I don't want to mess with the pins anymore, as I don't really have a magnifier, and last time I tried to repair them on my previous board, they broke :p

It's normal for all CPUs or sockets to have some pins that are longer than others. This is to ensure that pins come into contact with the contact pads in a particular order, so that ground is always connected before any of the supply voltages. These pins may appear to be bent

If they're clearly bent then they're clearly bent, no arguing with that

InvalidError

Titan
It should not matter if pins are slightly bent. As long as they insert effortlessly (should require nothing more than the CPU's own weight) in the ZIF socket, they should be straight enough to make contact in the ZIF socket once you lower the locking lever.

Solution

Intel does not use ZIF sockets, they use LGA.There's nothing to prevent the chip going in if a pin is bent like there is on a ZIF, not will the socket straighten out the pin if it's "close enough". It's very possible to have bent pins that will cause the system to not work and the CPU still insert fine.