Cannot get Evga GTX460 SE to work on my system

insanefountain

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
My old trusty 768MB nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX went the way of all flesh so I looked into a replacement. money being an issue I went for the
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB Graphics Card PCi-E DV

it was compatible with my mboard
the asus p5ne sliPCI-Express Mainboard

and it needed 400 w of power so as I had 550 on my PSU HEC 550td pte
so I figured I was good to go however I just get a long beep and three short beeps to the Bios and no boot so hardware problem it is.
so after checking again all the sys requirements I see it needs 22 amps on the +12 volt rail
I have 2 12 v rails one is 18amp and the other is 17amps
I have heard you can add the amps together if this is the case so I have 35 amps on the +12 rail

is this correct and if it is can anyone think of another reason the card may not be engaging.
I have tried everything and my old card will still work so the mboard is working the slots are all clean and the connections are good.

I don't think I need a new psu but any advice on this issue that would help me stop pulling my hair out would be appreciated.

the psu is fine, its the motherboard that is the problem. the 8800gtx uses more power than a 460. I have the same motherboard and had issues installing a modern graphics card. The thing that worked for me but you will have to have a working vid card in to do this, first update to the latest BIOS. then go into bios, load defaults, save and exit. now before you install the new card, remove the sli selector. This allows the system to boot. Boot through to windows and install drivers etc. now power off the machine, put the sli selector back in and try again. This worked for me, these motherboards are verry picky with new gpu's.

insanefountain

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks a lot for tat I will try this tonight when I get home and it sounds like it should do the job if not I must have a faulty card. Thanks for your answer and I’ll let you know how I got on.

insanefountain

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

I have gone ahead and did that exactly as you said and it worked a complete treat. Hearty thanks I would never have thought of removing the SLI chip that was the real pro tip. Computer is blazing away now.

Thanks again

you must put the sli selector back in, otherwise the pcie slot runs at 1x instead of 16x. I actually had to re-seat mine twice, first it detected as 8x, then i re-seated it again and made the propper connections for 16x pcie speed.