Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dual channel help!

Last response: in Memory
Share
October 27, 2012 4:17:51 AM

Hello Tom's


i have a problem installing my RAM, my MOBO is Bio Star T5 XE CFX-SLI,
it supports up to 16gb RAM and it has 4 DIMM slot( also supports Dual channel ),, i have a 2X 8gb RAM,

so here it is,, the manual said ( i should put 1 8gb stick on A1 and B1 . or for 4x 4gb put it on A1-A2-B1-B2. )
but i have a Thermaltake Frio CPU Push and pull Cooler/heatsink.. its too big,,,
i can only put the RAM on A2+B1 or B2 the A1 is blocked by the fan of CPU cooler..

and now i put my RAM on B1+B2......i dont know if something bad would happen to my system,,,,
or what difference would it make? will it be slower? or faster? Risky? please help me,,,,

Thank You!!

I have the G-Skill Ripjaw 16gb RAM DDR 3 1333mhz

More about : dual channel

October 27, 2012 4:30:08 AM

If it all fits snugly then it won't be a problem.
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 4:32:16 AM

zkp said:
If it all fits snugly then it won't be a problem.




I'm sorry i don't get it..... do you mean that B1+B2 works fine? instead of of A2+B2?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 150 } Memory
October 27, 2012 6:02:52 AM

You can reinstall the CPU cooler. With most big air coolers you have to install the RAM then the cooler since the coolers overhang the slots. It should fit fine as long as the RAM goes in first.

You can just use B1 and B2 but you will lose the 4% - 5% gain from dual channel. It's a small loss but enough that I would reinstall the cooler myself.
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 11:13:07 AM

anort3 said:
You can reinstall the CPU cooler. With most big air coolers you have to install the RAM then the cooler since the coolers overhang the slots. It should fit fine as long as the RAM goes in first.

You can just use B1 and B2 but you will lose the 4% - 5% gain from dual channel. It's a small loss but enough that I would reinstall the cooler myself.



hi!!! I just did it..and it really can't fit,, i think the Frio is really huge or the RAM design is too big...it's like vengence/dominator...i think..

Is there any adapter i can buy to make the cooler float a lil bit more?
m
0
l
a c 150 } Memory
October 27, 2012 4:23:47 PM

Are the heatspreaders actually too high and hit the bottom of the Frio or is it due to the motherboard design that the heatspreader hits the base of the Frio? I have never seen Ripjaws have a problem fitting in a well designed board.

Well after reading the mostly really bad reviews on that board it seems even a smallish air cooler lke the Hyper 212+ blocks RAM slots on it.

I think your only options are to either try RAM with no heatspreaders at all or live without having dual channel. 1.5v DDR3 does not need heatspreaders so that is not an issue but the price of new RAM might be. Samsung makes excellent memory without heatspreaders.
m
0
l
October 27, 2012 11:31:07 PM

anort3 said:
Are the heatspreaders actually too high and hit the bottom of the Frio or is it due to the motherboard design that the heatspreader hits the base of the Frio? I have never seen Ripjaws have a problem fitting in a well designed board.

Well after reading the mostly really bad reviews on that board it seems even a smallish air cooler lke the Hyper 212+ blocks RAM slots on it.

I think your only options are to either try RAM with no heatspreaders at all or live without having dual channel. 1.5v DDR3 does not need heatspreaders so that is not an issue but the price of new RAM might be. Samsung makes excellent memory without heatspreaders.



yah you're right....overall,,,

how about putting the ram on A2+B2? is the performance the same as A1+B1? or it's just like B1+B2?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 150 } Memory
October 27, 2012 11:44:06 PM

A2 + B2 should allow for dual channel operation. CPU-Z should tell you for sure.
Share
November 8, 2012 11:30:56 AM

Best answer selected by shikiramaru.
m
0
l
!