Sign in with
Your question
Closed

60c idle

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2012 6:52:06 PM

Hello, all.
I got a problem, my PC CPU is idling at 55c-62c. Week ago I had realy good idle temps. I ran ArmA 2 OA and my CPU temp rised about 80c. After that im idling with high temp. To prevent overheat im using BES, which limits programs CPU usage. I ran NFS Pro Street at max, but now I cant even run it at low withouth overheating. CPU overheats in about minute. What I can do?
Sorry for my bad at English, im Latvian.
CPU- Core2Duo E6850 @ 3GHz

More about : 60c idle

January 4, 2012 6:54:16 PM

What heatsink are you using? are you sure it is correctly and securely in place ?
a c 193 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 6:55:49 PM

Hi There and Welcome to Toms.

Reapply thermal paste to the CPU/Heatsink mating service and see what temps you get.

80c is abit rough but should not cause damage other than a slight lifetime decrease.

Related resources
January 4, 2012 7:02:19 PM

weezys_advocate said:
What heatsink are you using? are you sure it is correctly and securely in place ?

Im using default fan. It should be, because i dindn't touch it.

Anyone knows why after hitting 80c my CPU got so high idle temps?
January 4, 2012 7:06:35 PM

BTW is 80c idle temp is normal to my GPU- XFX 8800ultra XXX edition?
a c 193 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 7:13:17 PM

yes for a GPU that entirely normal. But what are the load temps on it?
January 4, 2012 7:16:17 PM

Novuake said:
yes for a GPU that entirely normal. But what are the load temps on it?

That's the next problem. When i reach about 70% load temp im reacing 109c. Even runing old game Battlefield 2 on max, after 30 mins im reacing 105c.
But can u anserw my question before this? Why after hitting 80c my CPU got so high idle temps?
January 4, 2012 7:19:04 PM

what is the ambient tempreture in the room.. all those temps are very high.. 80c is not good for iddle and 109c will simply damage your GPU .. does your case have any fans exhuasting air ?
January 4, 2012 7:26:08 PM

weezys_advocate said:
what is the ambient tempreture in the room.. all those temps are very high.. 80c is not good for iddle and 109c will simply damage your GPU .. does your case have any fans exhuasting air ?

Room temperature is about 20-23. I dont know why, but fans are configured to make my GPU 80c, when im below that temp, fan is slower. Higer- fan is faster
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 7:48:35 PM

I'd replace the thermal paste and clean the heat sink from dust (if there is some, ofc). Or replace the default heatsink with a new one, altogether.

Check your BIOS for a "Smart Fan" option. If you disable it, the CPU fan will always run at max speed, which doesn't matter regarding noise, if you have a good (aka large heat sink and silent fan) CPU cooler. But it will help keeping temps as low as possible at all times.

Since your GPU also tends to overheat, check your case/system fans. If you have none, get some. Also check for fan profiles, maybe you are using programs like MSI Afterburner or even the default drivers (e.g. Catalyst Suite for AMD) that are capable of controlling fan speed. Maybe it prevents the GPU fan from running faster than a given percentage, because of a certain option.

You shouldn't really run the PC the way things are right now. You only risk blowing the CPU. Get that sorted out first!
January 4, 2012 8:07:07 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
I'd replace the thermal paste and clean the heat sink from dust (if there is some, ofc). Or replace the default heatsink with a new one, altogether.

Check your BIOS for a "Smart Fan" option. If you disable it, the CPU fan will always run at max speed, which doesn't matter regarding noise, if you have a good (aka large heat sink and silent fan) CPU cooler. But it will help keeping temps as low as possible at all times.

Since your GPU also tends to overheat, check your case/system fans. If you have none, get some. Also check for fan profiles, maybe you are using programs like MSI Afterburner or even the default drivers (e.g. Catalyst Suite for AMD) that are capable of controlling fan speed. Maybe it prevents the GPU fan from running faster than a given percentage, because of a certain option.

You shouldn't really run the PC the way things are right now. You only risk blowing the CPU. Get that sorted out first!

Alredy checked Smart Fan. I tryed with on and off. Temp didn't change. Setted 100% speed of fan in SpeedFan. Got 1 fan in front blowing air in. Im runnning my PC 1 week with these temps :D 
Now my GPU fan speed is 100% and it's temp is 79c.
But why my CPU is heating so much after 1st time hitting 80c?

Ehhh... I will get thermal paste and maybe a new fans in some weeks...
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 8:31:16 PM

Almost 80° GPU at idle is just way to much, if you were referring to idle temps....

Try to add 1-2 exhaust fans in the back/top.

It would help to know more exactly what parts you are using. Aka which case, graphics card etc. If and what you changed before your temps went havoc, etc. The more info the better the help.
January 4, 2012 8:40:18 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
Almost 80° GPU at idle is just way to much, if you were referring to idle temps....

Try to add 1-2 exhaust fans in the back/top.

It would help to know more exactly what parts you are using. Aka which case, graphics card etc. If and what you changed before your temps went havoc, etc. The more info the better the help.

I got:
2gb ram
CPU- Core2Duo E6850
GPU- XFX 8800Ultra XXX Edition
HDD- 400GB

I had problems with overheating with old 8600GT 1GB too. About CPU- Temps went havoc when suddenly game started to lag and when i checked temps, CPU was 80c, after that CPU temps are high. I dont know why GPU have so high temp. Case isn't realy big and realy small. GPU almost didn't fit cuz HDD was touching it a bit, so i needed to move HDD.
I will anserw after 10-12h. It's 12 in Latvia.
January 5, 2012 1:04:14 PM

Just cleaned my PC. Cleaned CPU Fan, which was full of dust. Now i got 50c-57c idle temp. I didn't reapply thermal paste. I opened NFS: Pro Street, temps went to 72 in some secs. Closed Pro Street, temp went to 60c in 1 sec. How temps can jump so fast...
January 5, 2012 2:48:02 PM

I messed with Win7 settings, and in power options i set minimal processor state to 1% and Maximum processor state 75%. Now MAX 63c under load. But with higer settings CPU heats to 70c. So I set settings to good preformance and no high heat. Now under load I went to 63c. When I set Maximum processor state to something higer than 75% CPU starts to heat. Now my GPU heats to 97c while playing :D  It heats to 97c with 60% usage... To keep cool my GPU @ 80c fan speed needs to be 100%.
Maybe I have bad sectors on CPU, because when i set Maximum Processor State EVEN to 77% CPU heats to 70c. With 80% it heats to 72. Cmon, 2% difference. How is that possible?
!