Sign in with
Your question

Home network setup problems

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
November 10, 2010 7:39:06 PM

Hello,

I wanted to set up the home network (for the first time). Seems easy enough, right? First I plugged the coax cable in the modem (Motorola SB5101), then I connected the modem and the router. Then I wanted to configure the wireless network so I connected the router to the computer and tried to go to the rooter setting address (192.168.ManufacturerDependentSuffix). The computer connects to the network, but gives me an error when I try to enter the settings page. Is there a step I'm missing?
November 10, 2010 8:08:09 PM

You don't give much information here.
What brand/model your router is?
Are you using the right IP address to get on the router?
What is the error when you try to enter the settings page?
Does your PC have a IP address that match the router IP address? (192.168.something.xyz>1)
Which port did you use for the modem/PC on your router?

I think that would be enough info to troubleshoot your problem.
Anonymous
November 10, 2010 8:28:26 PM

Thanks for the reply!

> What brand/model your router is?
I'm sorry, I no longer have it at hand.
> Are you using the right IP address to get on the router?
Yep, it says on the bottom on the router
> What is the error when you try to enter the settings page?
The usual "Firefox can't find the address" error, as of I weren't connected to the net.
> Does your PC have a IP address that match the router IP address? (192.168.something.xyz>1)
> Which port did you use for the modem/PC on your router?
I guess these are responsible for the failure as I never heard of these things. Could you please elaborate (I'm on Windows XP)?
Related resources
November 10, 2010 9:14:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

> What brand/model your router is?
I'm sorry, I no longer have it at hand.

no prob.
Quote:

> Are you using the right IP address to get on the router?
Yep, it says on the bottom on the router

Sure thing
Quote:

> What is the error when you try to enter the settings page?
The usual "Firefox can't find the address" error, as of I weren't connected to the net.

Ok.. for that error, I guess you mean error 404, page not found?
Quote:

> Does your PC have a IP address that match the router IP address? (192.168.something.xyz>1)
> Which port did you use for the modem/PC on your router?
I guess these are responsible for the failure as I never heard of these things. Could you please elaborate (I'm on Windows XP)?

If I am right with the error above, that would mean that your pc doesn't have the right IP. Go to control Panel> network connections, right click on your network card> properties. From there, select TCP/IP and click properties. Enter a static IP (192.168.yourrouterone.50), netmask : 255.255.255.0, gateway: your router IP address
The rest doesn't matter. Apply and close all windows and retry.

what do you get?

About the physical connection, your modem should be plugged to your router using the WAN port, then your PC should be on any other port.
Anonymous
November 10, 2010 9:24:15 PM

Thanks, I can now connect to the router settings!
November 10, 2010 9:24:47 PM

connect you PC via network cable to one of the four LAN ports and dis connect you modem from the Internet/WAN port.

turn on your router. once booted click START and choose Run. Type the following:

cmd /k ipconfig /all

you should see the IPAddress and the Default Gateway. They should not be the same

IP 192.168.xxx.xxx
Gateway 192.168.xxx.1

open Firefox and browse to the Gateway Address

!