Ovearheating: NB; CPU and GPU (Randomly switching) (WC Sys)

madstressy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hi All,
I really need some help with a problem I'm experiencing in the past 3 days:
(BTW: Sorry if my EN is not so good, hope it's all clear thought)

I have my Rig running nice and smoothly for the past 7-8 Months, but 3 days ago I was playing Rift Online at full details (GPU usage somewhere @ 90 to 98%) ... then my PC Freezes, the Monitor turn off and I had to hard reset it.

I'm always monitoring the Temps & usage on my GPU when running a game at Full details, also the ambient Temps of the cooling system. Around 5 min. before it freeze the temps on the GPU showed 41 Degrees Celsius, the ambient temp of the Water cooling system were at about 40C.
After the restart I received a Bios Error "Overclocking failed"

I reset the Bios to default, and then the system didn't recognize my keyboard, Reset again then it worked...
I thought it's maybe an conflict with the game (The game updated in the same day), so i ignored the problem and keep playing for another 2H until I got again the black screen (The speakers made the "BBBZZZZZZ" sound which you can also hear when the jack is not connected to the Audion Card)... I went back run RIFT and after 5min it freezes again... Reset, went back and run GTA IV for about 30 min and nothing happened (The usage was at about 65% on Full details)... I run EVGA Precision and run the Stress test on full screen mode (1920x1080) and after 3min the system freeze again...

I uninstall all Graphics drivers and reinstall them, no changes.
I monitored all temps of the rig and i thought the problem may be the CPU, which showed 65C after about 15min of game play (GTAIV).

The odd thing was the next day, when i come home and opened the Computer, suddenly the CPU temps went back again to the Normal ones (Around 35C) but now the NB is overheating to 75-80C... Also I have the Asus Rampage II Extreme MB, and as you may know it has an external display which you can set to show you the temps. Today I stressed the GPU again to try and find out the problem and when the GPU was running at about 95% the display start disappeared ... I lowered the details (until the GPU reached 75/80% Usage) then the display appeared again..

- I find it very strange that the high temps migrated from the CPU to the NB which makes me think the Water Block are plugged somewhere.. ?
The Rampage II Extreme external display is directly connected to the MB, why it disappear when the system was under stress, can the PSU be the problem?
Some people say the GPU maybe ... partially toasted ... :( I hope not....

Specs:
Case: Corsair 800D (Running with: 3X 120mm Fans top + 1x 140mm fan back + 1x 120mm fan bottom)
MB: ASUS Rampage II Extreme (Fully Water cooled with EK Blocks: NB; SB; Mosfet's)
CPU: i7 950
RAM: 3X Corsair Dominator @1600MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 580 (Water cooled (Hydro Cooper II version))
PSU: SilverStone STRIDER @ 1200W
W-C System: Zalman Reserator XT (My first W-C rig, so I chose the easy way :))

madstressy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
BTW: No Overclocking was done on any of the components yet. I practically made no changes to the setting or others in the past 7 months.
I did run before the GPU + CPU at 100% for 6H (About 2 months ago) in order to test the temps.
For the stress test I used CPU Burner & and for the GPU: EVGA Precision.

madstressy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Yes, during game play (When running at full details) i always set the Water flow to Max. which is about 1.5l/min.
I also notice the Water flow was fluxing from 1.5l/min to 1.0l/min; 0.8L/min then back to 1.5l/m but this happened only once, after the first freeze then the system become steady again....

madstressy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Yes, during game play (When running at full details) i always set the Water flow to Max. which is about 1.5l/min.
I also notice the Water flow was fluxing from 1.5l/min to 1.0l/min; 0.8L/min then back to 1.5l/m but this happened only once, after the first freeze then the system become steady again....

madstressy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
SOLVED!

The problem was the 6 Pin power cable of the video Card. It got broken and the Card Run only on the 8 Pin Connector. From this reason when I was gaming the Northbridge was getting a bit overheated and the PC was freezing when the Video card was sucking up to much power.

I replaced the Nvidia GTX 580 with an ATI 4970 to see if the GPU is faulty. Fortunate ATI was thinking a bit farther when they build in there protection system and when I was booting up the system i received an warrning message "The power cables are not connected to you VGA etc." I replaced the cables with NEW one and everything works just fine now...

Thanks for help!

madstressy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Well I use an external water cooling system - Zalman Resorater XT up till now
- Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Cooper II (Water Block Build in by Manufactor)
- MoBo: EK Full Block for Rampage II Extreme + Mosfet Blocks
- CPU: EK Supreme LTX (Fresh Upgrade)
- RAM: EK Corsair Dominator (GT) (Fresh Upgrade)

I also just bought the EK-KIT H3O - Supreme LT 360 EN (Water Cooling Kit)

So I will run the GPU on the Zalman System,
CPU, RAM and MoBO on the EK Kit.