HD5950 vs GTX 570

Hey guys,

I bought a alienware desktop one year ago (i know, a bit expensive, aso, but it was a little dream of my own... anyway...). My specs are :i7 930, 6GB DDR3 @ 1,6 MHz and a HD 5950 and a 21' screen full HD. At that time, I was hoping to buy something very good and reliable. But after one year of intensive use, I recently got disappointed by the graphic card... Why? Because I encountered a lot of trouble with most recent games (Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial, aso). The main problem being these games don't really appreciate the crossfire... A friend of mine has almost the same system as mine, except that he has a single HD 5850. And his games run better on his PC than on mine (more FPS), which is killing me ! For instance, while playing Crysis 2 in 1920x1200 res, with almost everything on high, except anti aliasing set on 4x, I got 40 fps outside... If I put everything on low, it stays stuck on 40-45 fps outside...Can't get more, even when I try to modify the settings with RadeonPro.

All this leads me to ask you this question : is a GTX 570 a good option for my system ? I mean, I'm quite disgusted by the crossfire, so I'm not planning on buying another double GPU card. There are too many problems when a new game is released (I know most of the time there are solved with new drivers, but still, It's annoying me) while playing in full screen. So I'm asking myself if buying another graphic card will allow me to play those recent games with better performance and better graphic options. Do you think a GTX 570 will allow me to play crysis 2 or the witcher 2 at 60 fps with everything set on high/very high or even extreme ? Or do I need more RAM or another processor ?

If anything is not clear in my description, sorry in advance. English is not my mother language :) In addition, I'm not a PC expert! Most of the time, I just check the price of an article to say if it is better than antoher one ! Shame on me !
11 answers Last reply
More about hd5950
  1. Given how little improvement you gained by lowering graphical settings, this leads me to believe the problem is not the card, but something else is bottlenecking you. It's very likely it's your CPU. The stock clocks on the i7 930 are very low and probably need to be tuned up to take advantage of your powerful graphics card. Putting in a 570 will not likely help in this manner.
  2. ^ Agreed

You need to buy yourself an aftermarket cooler and overclock the hell out of that CPU. It should overclock very nicely and btw, those games you listed are very cpu demanding. If this is the problem, getting a 570 will do nothing more than waste your money cause you will not see any difference.

So before you go spending $300, go read up on how to overclock your gpu, get a nice cooler for it and gice it a shot. Get it up near 4.0 ghz and you will not be bottlenecked anymore. IF at that point you still have crappy frames, then its time to replace the card.

So save yourself some money, overclock the card and spend $40 on a cooler. If that doesnt help, replace the card and you will still have a nice overclock on your cpu to go with it :)
  3. phishy714 said:
    ^ Agreed

You need to buy yourself an aftermarket cooler and overclock the hell out of that CPU. It should overclock very nicely and btw, those games you listed are very cpu demanding. If this is the problem, getting a 570 will do nothing more than waste your money cause you will not see any difference.

So before you go spending $300, go read up on how to overclock your gpu, get a nice cooler for it and gice it a shot. Get it up near 4.0 ghz and you will not be bottlenecked anymore. IF at that point you still have crappy frames, then its time to replace the card.

So save yourself some money, overclock the card and spend $40 on a cooler. If that doesnt help, replace the card and you will still have a nice overclock on your cpu to go with it :)

don't you get it ? he Said Alienware.... Best coolers and cooling systems, materials ever
  4. xxxayorxxx said:
    Hey guys,

I bought a alienware desktop one year ago (i know, a bit expensive, aso, but it was a little dream of my own... anyway...). My specs are :i7 930, 6GB DDR3 @ 1,6 MHz and a HD 5950 and a 21' screen full HD. At that time, I was hoping to buy something very good and reliable. But after one year of intensive use, I recently got disappointed by the graphic card... Why? Because I encountered a lot of trouble with most recent games (Crysis 2, The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial, aso). The main problem being these games don't really appreciate the crossfire... A friend of mine has almost the same system as mine, except that he has a single HD 5850. And his games run better on his PC than on mine (more FPS), which is killing me ! For instance, while playing Crysis 2 in 1920x1200 res, with almost everything on high, except anti aliasing set on 4x, I got 40 fps outside... If I put everything on low, it stays stuck on 40-45 fps outside...Can't get more, even when I try to modify the settings with RadeonPro.

All this leads me to ask you this question : is a GTX 570 a good option for my system ? I mean, I'm quite disgusted by the crossfire, so I'm not planning on buying another double GPU card. There are too many problems when a new game is released (I know most of the time there are solved with new drivers, but still, It's annoying me) while playing in full screen. So I'm asking myself if buying another graphic card will allow me to play those recent games with better performance and better graphic options. Do you think a GTX 570 will allow me to play crysis 2 or the witcher 2 at 60 fps with everything set on high/very high or even extreme ? Or do I need more RAM or another processor ?

If anything is not clear in my description, sorry in advance. English is not my mother language :) In addition, I'm not a PC expert! Most of the time, I just check the price of an article to say if it is better than antoher one ! Shame on me !

take off one of your graphic cards and see how the performance look like with one GPU, do you play Crysis 2 with DX11 patch and High texture pack ? or you just play it in Dx9 mode ?
    i'm getting 35 FPS with v.sync enabled and everything else on Ultra
    DX11 games like metro 2033 and Crysis 2 runs @ 25 fps on single gpu and 50 fps on CF.... i guess you don't have a problem with that.... as i said i get 35 fps with Crysis 2 DX11 and i get 75 fps with Battle Field BC2, Mafia II
    just do a little overclocking to your CPU 3.8 for eg and ensure you're up tp date with AMD drivers
  5. Thanks everyone for your answers. Before anything else, I messed up with the name of my GC... It's a 5970, not a 5950 -_-" Anyway, I will definitely try to overclock my proc and see what happens. Will eventually buy a new Intel 2600k to give it a big boost before changing the card :-)
  6. The graphics card you have is better than the 570 :P Its a dual gpu card, with 2 5800 series gpus :P There is no reason you should have to upgrade it :D
  7. xxxayorxxx said:
    . Will eventually buy a new Intel 2600k to give it a big boost before changing the card :-)

Just ensuring you are aware this cpu upgrade will require a new mainboard as well....
  8. you have 5970 in crossfire ? it's like having GTX 580 in crossfire what else do you need ?
  9. ilysaml said:
    don't you get it ? he Said Alienware.... Best coolers and cooling systems, materials ever

I lol'd irl
  10. Yup, I know I have to change the mainboard as well unfortunately... But after all, I'd rather pay a bit more and enjoy my games with everything set on max than getting nervous because I have to test every possible setting before I can reach 55-60 fps...

Thanks everyone for your advices !
  11. xxxayorxxx said:
    Yup, I know I have to change the mainboard as well unfortunately... But after all, I'd rather pay a bit more and enjoy my games with everything set on max than getting nervous because I have to test every possible setting before I can reach 55-60 fps...

Thanks everyone for your advices !

listen you don't have to change anything ? HD 5970 in crossfire it's like the fastest graphics card in the world
    not all the games support CF, and all of it's issues are related to drivers, so my advice is to stay with the current rig just do a little overclock to your CPU to ensure that it will handle these big boys
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product