Computer no longer working after CPU upgrade

davidmull12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
So, I used to have a pentium 4 2.8 GHz, but I upgraded to an Intel 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, both Slot 478. After I did that, my computer no longer works, it exactly being that it the monitor on and runs, but the screen is black and I don't receive any imgae or even a connection on the screen anymore, it's just running but doing anything, no monitor connection anymore. I grounded myself the whole time to prevent static, but what could be wrong? I also tried outting the old CPU in, still won't work.

davidmull12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Never mind, I popped it out and put a new one in, still runs and hums, but no monitor connection or windows start up sound, no beeps, nada, I even tried new cables and video cards, it started the second I put a new CPU in even when I switched it back it still happened.

Your mistaken. Your P4 is s775 if you were able to install a C2D. C2D are s775 only. It's possible your motherboard doesn't support C2D, just because it's the same socket doesn't mean you can use any processor. Did you check your motherboards cpu support list?

What motherboard make and model?

davidmull12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
LGA 775 is where the pins are on the board, slot 478 is when it's on the CPUI checked in CPU-Z and my Pentium 4 was 478, and I saw and asked several people, the core 2 duo was also 478, both had pins on the CPU, same pattern. Just search it a bit more, there are 478's of both of these, although rare for dual cores. Any ideas about what I can do to fix it, or at least what's wrong with it?

I'm pretty sure that no dual core CPUs were made for Socket 478, certainly nothing in the Core 2 Duo line, closest thing to a dual core might be a Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading, which gives you one physical core, and one virtual core that gives you a slight performance boost.

If any Socket 478 C2Ds were made, odds are most Socket 478 boards wouldn't support them, or would need a BIOS update to support them. Go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and check the CPU support list, if your new CPU is not on there, it won't work. If your new CPU is on the list, you may have to do a BIOS update to get your board to recognize the CPU. Pop the old Pentium 4 back in, and run a BIOS update with the BIOS file you download from the manufacturer's website.

No. Your not listening. There are no C2D's in s478, only s775. The first C2D was the 65nm E6300 and it was s775, I know I had one and s775 motherboards don't take s478 cpu's.

End of discussion.

davidmull12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0380254

Here's the link, says 478, 2 cores, core 2 duo. And I tried putting the old Pent 4 in, still won't work, even replaced the battery for the motherboard, nada.

I know I may have sounded patronizing, I apologize, I really do, but I'm not new to this either, I made sure that it was slot 478 and a dual core, which it was.

No error beeps or anything like that, but I do hear near inaudible click from where my Hard drive, CD/DVD Drive, and Floppy disk drive are. Does this help any?

Also, the power button is light orange instead of it's usual green. I know this isn't normal.

thats an mobile processor and from wikipedia:

Socket M is pin-compatible with desktop socket mPGA478A but it is not electrically compatible[7]. Socket M is not pin-compatible with the older desktop Socket 478 (mPGA478B) or the newer mobile Socket P (mPGA478MN) by location of one pin; it is also incompatible with most[8] versions of the older mobile Socket 479. Pentium III-M processors designed for the first version of Socket 479 will physically fit into a Socket M, but are electrically incompatible with it.[9] Although conflicting information has been published, no 45 nm Penryn processors have been released for Socket M.

you probably damaged the motherboard if the p4 nolonger works.

That is a mobile CPU for laptops, not desktops. The laptop Socket 478 may have a similar pinout to the desktop Socket 478, but a laptop CPU will not work on a desktop board. I ask, is the Core 2 Duo T7500 on the list of supported CPUs for your board? If it is not, it isn't going to work, end of discussion. As for why your P4 isn't working, check to make sure none of the pins got bent when you swapped it out. Also make sure that the 4 pin P4 power connector is connected to your mainboard.

Edit: Yeah if the pin out on the mobile CPU is slightly different, that may have also damaged the motherboard.

davidmull12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
But the specs on it say that it's a desktop CPU? And I tried on my back up computer, didn't work there either, but when I switched it back, the old pentium 4 had it working again.

davidmull12

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I called back, the store said you guys where right, I'm sorry for letting this drag on, it was a laptop CPU and they're even gonna be kind enough to replace my fried motherboard, so thank you all for the help.

Of course were right, your just hard headed. Yeah you can't use a Mobile cpu on a desktop motherboard. Good luck.