AMD need an Intel CPU to produce best performance from 7970

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3DMark-ATI,14413.html#BOM_comments

This is an outright admission from AMD that it needs an Intel CPU to produce the best performance from 7970 right?

At this point in time AMD is admitting that Intel CPU is better...

What say you?
6 answers Last reply
More about intel produce performance 7970
  1. Can you really make a generalization from one sample? Unless it is compared to at least the Bulldozer series or other processors then I won't make any conclusions.
  2. This wasn't done by AMD. It was done by a guy at ASUS. So AMD isn't admitting anything, they have nothing to do with this. All it says is that this guy thinks Intel CPUs are faster (and yes they are faster).
  3. AMD has already admitted to no longer competing with Intel at this segment. The shift towards mobile, tablet, and APU platforms is where they're headed.

They didn't make this decision because they wanted out of the x86 segment, but because even during the best years, their market share never came close to imposing upon Intel's. Now that their ability to compete has been severely limited due to poor architecture choices they're finding themselves entirely out of contention.

Bulldozer was supposed to be great equalizer. It was the platform that AMD bet the farm on, and unfortunately for all of us it failed to deliver.

Hopefully this is a sign that AMD understands that they cannot emulate Intel and beat them at brute force cpu power. Parallel processing has been little more than an artificial means to maintain Moore's Law since the C2Qs hit the market. I'd like to think that AMD will now start to approach x86 from a more innovative standpoint.
  4. leon2006 said:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3DMark-ATI,14413.html#BOM_comments

This is an outright admission from AMD that it needs an Intel CPU to produce the best performance from 7970 right?

At this point in time AMD is admitting that Intel CPU is better...

What say you?

You could also say Intel needs a AMD GPU to make a gaming PC. Amd's CPU's are still fast enough to max every game out their with a good video card. Where The Intel 3000HD Super high-end graphics can barley run Sims 3
  5. Well at least Intel's IB will have a "major improvement" in graphic core performance. The Intel HD 4000 is expected to have about 60% better performance than the Intel HD 3000. That's basically going from a Radeon HD 5450 to a Radeon HD 5550.

The jump in GPU power from IB to Haswell (2013) is currently estimated at only a 20% improvement though. That's about equal to a Radeon HD 5570, but not quite. That's okay 'cause my interest in Haswell is more about CPU processing power than GPU processing power. But who knows, maybe I'll buy the Sims 3 and give it spin when I upgrade to Haswell.
  6. Now we know what the boys in Canada have at their lab to push their product to the limit...Its not their own CPU
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance AMD Intel