Which of these two monitors? why?

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
currently rocking 2x5770 in xfire and a dell 24" ultrasharp that is a couple of years old.

i want to upgrade my monitor, and the 24" is going somewhere else.

I can go with the eyefinity or straight 3d route. I will have one(or two) additional monitor(s) for produtivity, maybe a couple of 20-22 inch ones, one vertical maybe? I don't know, I've never had more than one monitor...

i game, but not as much as i once did. i saw avatar in 3d in the theater, and after about half an hour, didn't really notice the 3d. i'm not sure if i will want to use it in games, but i'll give it a go...

SO...

this
SAMSUNG T27A950 Black 27" 5ms 3D LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/DTV Tuner 300 cd/m2 DC 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)
or this
Acer HN274Hbmiiid Black 27" 2ms 3D Full HD HDMI WideScreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 ACM 10,000,000:1

maybe the next card is ati, maybe nvidia. who knows? either way, am i covered?

thanks guys!

Solution
Both are quite expensive, but i'm leaning towards the Samsung due to the high energy saving power of the LED backlit LCD.

Also I believe you require a specific 3D LCD to use either the AMD 3D or the NVIDIA 3D for gaming. But for regular content...I don't think it matters.

I'm not entirely sure on the 3D thing with AMD and NVIDIA, maybe someone with more knowledge of 3D TV's and gaming/video watching could chime in?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tridef-stereoscopic-3d-gaming,3019.html

There is a link here where they give a good comparison of 3D gaming.

Apparently display port is the best for 3D. As it has high enough bandwidth for 1080P.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

I'll talk right away with 3d monitors for its "future-proofing".

I use Nvidia 3d kit myself (although only for working) and to be honest it KICKS ASS. No other 3d kit can give you the depth impression it gives you (yes I tested AMD's kit). So, you want 3d, you get Nvidia.

You can check the list of Nvidia-certified monitors here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html

You might see your Acer is on the list. So, go for the Acer and be happy - and don't worry about DisplayPort. DVI can do it.

Solution