Memmory XMP profile problems

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hello guys. I have a G.skill ripjaws X ddr3 1600 ram. It is 8gb total in 2 sticks. I have a p8h77 Vle and a i7 2600k.

I tried enabling XMP profile in the bios to achieve 1600mhz speed but everytime I try to enable it to XMP, the board will NOT BOOT :fou:

I did not do any overclocking or mess with the bios at all.

The board just would not boot and i need to press the GO button for it to work.

I tired disableing the EPU and stuff but it still did not work so i reset the bios to original. The memmory is currently running at ddr3 1333.

But now, it says that it is running in XMP 1 profile in the bios. this is really werid.

Can someone help me please?

Solution
The brings up something that I just found out recently myself, but apparently, you can't overclock RAM (which is what the X.M.P. profile does, of course) on a H77 board with a Sandy Bridge CPU installed.

There was another person a day or two ago with an i3 2120 (I believe. It could have been a 2100, but same difference) and a different H77 board that had 1600 RAM as well, and they couldn't enable X.M.P. either (or overclock the RAM manually, for that matter).
The brings up something that I just found out recently myself, but apparently, you can't overclock RAM (which is what the X.M.P. profile does, of course) on a H77 board with a Sandy Bridge CPU installed.

There was another person a day or two ago with an i3 2120 (I believe. It could have been a 2100, but same difference) and a different H77 board that had 1600 RAM as well, and they couldn't enable X.M.P. either (or overclock the RAM manually, for that matter).

Solution
Simple limitations on H77 chipset and pretty much all the newer Intel chipset iterations except 'OC' chipsets for both Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge CPU's - e.g. Z77 and Z75 and sure the older P67/Z68:

Ivy Bridge:
* RAM speeds what ever is available in the BIOS i.e. OC
* Default is DDR3-1600 or up to the highest JEDEC (non-XMP) up to DDR3-1600, meaning in most kits the default is going to be DDR3-1333 since most kits lack a '800MHz JEDEC' (SPD).

Sandy Bridge:
* Max frequency is capped at DDR3-1333 ; excluding 'Z77 and Z75 and sure the older P67/Z68' which allow both CPU and RAM OC.

Example - this DDR3L kit is current, but lacks a 800MHz JEDEC so it'll Default to DDR3-1333 on all Intel Chipsets. That doesn't mean that I cannot use XMP as long as both the CPU's defaults and Chipset allow it and above the CPU's Rated frequency is an 'OC':
CPU-z-RAM-CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G.jpg

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Why do i need an ivy bridge to make it run at 1600? Isnt this a fraud and a scam? How can these equipment manufactures be so cheap? I expected intel to be better than this. Will I encounter this problem on an AMD system?

To the first question, I'm not sure, honestly. That's just the way it is.

To the second question, not really, because it can be done, just only with an Ivy CPU. I'm guessing they expect most people who but a 7 series board will use an Ivy CPU in it.

I'm not sure it's a question of being cheap so much as just a business decision to help move people away from Sandy.

And no, an AMD system wouldn't encounter this problem, as far as I know (as long as you can OC the RAM with the board you're using).

This isn't a problem for the "overclocking" Intel 7 series chipsets, though (Z75, and Z77). Those are free to OC the RAM, even with a Sandy CPU, as far as I'm aware.

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
There's no way to bypass it, unfortunately. It's not a big deal, though. You're not missing out on a lot other than just being able to use the RAM at its intended speed. No major performance difference between 1333 and 1600 (there is some, of course, but none that you should be worried about).

I just click on "My Threads" at the top of each section and it shows all of the threads that I have posted in, in that section.

As far as your other thread goes, I'm not sure what's going on there, but my guess is what you've already alluded to that it's just system files.