Sign in with
Your question

Is this possible?

Last response: in Components
January 4, 2012 9:18:45 PM

Is it posible to have a closed liquid nitrogen cooling system so that the nitrogen dosent evaporate?

If so is it expencive?

If not where can i buy liquid nitrogen?

And what materials would i need to stop the liquid nitrogen from destroying whatever its stored in and not freeze the crap out of my pc?

this i just a question out of the blue, nothing i actualy plan to do... just curious

More about : question

a b ) Power supply
January 4, 2012 9:36:56 PM

keato02 said:
Is it posible to have a closed liquid nitrogen cooling system so that the nitrogen dosent evaporate?

If so is it expencive?

If not where can i buy liquid nitrogen?

And what materials would i need to stop the liquid nitrogen from destroying whatever its stored in and not freeze the crap out of my pc?

this i just a question out of the blue, nothing i actualy plan to do... just curious

Hi :) 

Its possibe technically to do BUT....any container or pipe that uses pressurised Nitrogen has to be capable of withstanding a pressure of over 3000 psi....and its extremely risky unless you know PRECISELY what you are doing.... I run Nitrous Oxide in my car and have considered Nitrogen boost but rejected it as too risky and in my case uneeded anyway....

All the best Brett :) 
January 4, 2012 11:09:59 PM

Yep, I agree with Brett up there. Theoretically possible but extremely risky and I mean... really is a waste of money to do so even if you know what you're doing.

-Neutral
Related resources
a c 272 ) Power supply
January 5, 2012 1:00:07 AM

Liquid nitrogen is a very bad coolant by itself, the phase change from liquid to gas is what allows it to absorb a lot of energy and then remove it from the system. If you keep the gas from evaporating and leaving the system its effectively a liquid cooling system that uses a liquid with a low specific heat that will perform very poorly and as such isn't going to work at all. The only way to use liquid nitrogen or liquid helium to cool a CPU is in an open container where it can evaporate.
January 5, 2012 1:26:10 AM

If you wanna to buy or handle liquid nitrogen, you should take the proper safety precautions. Because it is transported in Dewars. Due to the large gas expansion ratio, the gas can be extremely harmful if vaporized or exposed quickly, causing possibly fatal explosions.
!