Sign in with
Your question

~$1500 Gaming pc (need advice)

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2011 9:52:42 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 11.October-2011

Budget Range: Around 1500 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Hard drives, CPU Heatsink

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: N/A

Country of Origin: Norway

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Do not care what it looks like, want to run all the games on Max out 2011 atleast.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

I will add a picture of the current parts I have been thinking of buying.

I need some advice about Graphics cards, Power supply and Compatibility issues

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/pcbuild.jpg/
(Its a Norwegian site, but the components should have the same name (exept colours))
PS: "VIFTE" means fan

I have read around on this forum, and people seem to say that SLI GTX560ti Is better/dollar than a single high-end card.
If anyone can confirm this, that would be great.

I have little experience with motherboards, so if anyone sees any problems with compatibility please shout out.

Hope someone can give me some feedback on my build, and tell me any improvements or changes.

Thanks in Advance:
Elyo

More about : 1500 gaming advice

October 4, 2011 9:56:27 PM

Also, How do I know for sure how powerful Power supply i need, and will my motherboard be able to run all those fans?
October 4, 2011 10:41:04 PM

To be on the safe side I would get a 900w power supply.
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $129.99

It is not overly expensive and will provide enough power if you decide to run sli and whatever else you may add.

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $169.99

The motherboard you chose may not support sli , you may want to consider this one.

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $329.99

With what you were going to spend on 2 560ti's you can get this one for less money and be close to the same performance , and then save up for another for sli and you will have a great performing computer.
Related resources
October 4, 2011 10:41:06 PM

elyo said:
Also, How do I know for sure how powerful Power supply i need, and will my motherboard be able to run all those fans?

everything looks fine except maybe the psu, I dont think the psu is has quite enough wattage. to be exact use this calculator

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I only know the basics behind wattage requirements. So it may be more beneficial to create and ask in a new thread "is this PSU enough for my system".
October 4, 2011 10:55:02 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will look into what you said and il reply back later.

I also found out my current CPU Heat sink won't fit the new CPU Socket. so il need to get one of those.

Although the top rated coolers aren't available in my country. the only one i can find is the Noctua NH-D14
October 4, 2011 11:14:17 PM

inzone said:
To be on the safe side I would get a 900w power supply.
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900 900W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $129.99

It is not overly expensive and will provide enough power if you decide to run sli and whatever else you may add.

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $169.99

The motherboard you chose may not support sli , you may want to consider this one.

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $329.99

With what you were going to spend on 2 560ti's you can get this one for less money and be close to the same performance , and then save up for another for sli and you will have a great performing computer.

The Motherboard does say:
Quote:
ASUS P8P67-M PRO B3, Socket-1155
m-ATX, P67, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, EFI

This should be enough for SLI Right?
I see alot of people talk about the ASRock MoBo's but these are not available here, so ASUS P8P67 is the closest i could find.

So you are sure that 1x GTX 570 is better than SLI 2x GTX 560ti's?
I would save $70 on buying a 570 over 2x 560ti's
What would you do?

October 4, 2011 11:24:34 PM

thesnappyfingers said:
everything looks fine except maybe the psu, I dont think the psu is has quite enough wattage. to be exact use this calculator

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I only know the basics behind wattage requirements. So it may be more beneficial to create and ask in a new thread "is this PSU enough for my system".

Used your site and i got these results:

System Type: 1 physical CPU
Motherboard: High End - Desktop
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3300 MHz Sandy Bridge
Overclocked: 4000 MHz, 1.3 V
CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP
RAM: 2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Video Type: SLI

ATTENTION: FOR PERSONAL, NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY
Regular SATA: 2 HDDs
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 2 Drives
USB: 4 Devices
Fans
Regular: 2 Fans 120mm;
LED: 3 Fans 120mm;
Keyboard and mouse: Yes
System Load: 90 %

Minimum PSU Wattage: 521 Watts
Recommended Wattage: 571 Watts

I might have done something wrong, because 571 watts seems to be very little, if people are telling me to get 900W?
(I know very little about this subject)
I added some overclocking to the site, just incase i want to try that in the future.
October 4, 2011 11:35:14 PM

elyo said:
The Motherboard does say:
Quote:
ASUS P8P67-M PRO B3, Socket-1155
m-ATX, P67, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, EFI

This should be enough for SLI Right?
I see alot of people talk about the ASRock MoBo's but these are not available here, so ASUS P8P67 is the closest i could find.

So you are sure that 1x GTX 570 is better than SLI 2x GTX 560ti's?
I would save $70 on buying a 570 over 2x 560ti's
What would you do?

The motherboard you selected has two pci-e slots and the second is a X4 , that is if I am looking at the right MB. be sure to check it out before you buy because the X4 slot would reduce the performance of the video card that you put in there.
If it were me I would get the GTX 570 and then another later. I guess it would also depend on how long it would take to save for the other 570.
There is no question that a 570 will beat a 560ti , the question is when it comes to max settings and physix and highest resolutions. Once you pass 60fps you do not notice performance as much. You do want to make sure that you can play your games at maxed out settings and any games that will come out as well. The 570 will give you good performance for now and adding another will make you able to play any games coming out for the next few years. Again it comes down to when you will be able to get the second card and only you know that.
October 4, 2011 11:46:00 PM

Quote:

I might have done something wrong, because 571 watts seems to be very little, if people are telling me to get 900W?
I added some overclocking to the site, just incase i want to try that in the future.

You probably did not do anything wrong, we are probably just wrong. Here are the requirements for two gtx 560 ti according to 3d guru.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

There are also benches for the two cards in sli. I am no PSU expert either, to get a better answer you could start a new thread that specifically ask if the psu is enough.
October 5, 2011 12:10:20 AM

inzone said:
The motherboard you selected has two pci-e slots and the second is a X4 , that is if I am looking at the right MB. be sure to check it out before you buy because the X4 slot would reduce the performance of the video card that you put in there.
If it were me I would get the GTX 570 and then another later. I guess it would also depend on how long it would take to save for the other 570.
There is no question that a 570 will beat a 560ti , the question is when it comes to max settings and physix and highest resolutions. Once you pass 60fps you do not notice performance as much. You do want to make sure that you can play your games at maxed out settings and any games that will come out as well. The 570 will give you good performance for now and adding another will make you able to play any games coming out for the next few years. Again it comes down to when you will be able to get the second card and only you know that.

Thank you, I had no idea. I will look for a different MOBO,
and taking a Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, 2xDVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, 732MHz
Will this do? Is about 168USD cheaper than the SLI 560's
October 5, 2011 12:11:15 AM

thesnappyfingers said:
Quote:

You probably did not do anything wrong, we are probably just wrong. Here are the requirements for two gtx 560 ti according to 3d guru.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

There are also benches for the two cards in sli. I am no PSU expert either, to get a better answer you could start a new thread that specifically ask if the psu is enough.

Alright cool, il make a post.
October 5, 2011 12:35:28 AM

inzone said:

Found this: ASUS P8P67 PRO B3, Socket-1155 ATX, P67, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, BT, EFI
Says it has 8x8
I feel its really hard to distinguish these MOBOs. there are about 22 different versions of the "PRO". hope this one is ok.

costs $200 here.
!