Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom Problem

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2012 9:37:05 PM

Greetings!

Yesterday my CPU (AMD Phenom ii x4 965 black edition) managed to overheat, it got up to 90 degrees before I shut my computer down. After that I went to the store and bought new thermal paste. When I started it up again it was on 65 idle 72 when gaming. I noticed some FPS lag, and found out that the CPU was only using (1) core? Is it possible that it disabled the other cores cause of the overheat? If so how do I turn the cores on again?

Help would be appreciated

Best regards

Salige.

More about : amd phenom problem

January 4, 2012 9:49:22 PM

I'd imagine the processor is now damaged. Your temps are way high; 62 is the thermal limit for the Phenom II x4. Time to go shopping!
January 4, 2012 9:51:25 PM

So I can't enable the cores again? I am using the standard AMD fan, which is pretty bad. And I haven't cleaned it for dust or anything.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 9:52:29 PM

Hi :) 

Depending on your motheboard,? you should be able to turn back on the other cores in the bios..... I doubt you have damaged them as it would not usually run even on 1 core if you had...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 9:53:16 PM

So you thought new thermal paste was gonna lower your temperature 28c?

Either the heatsink wasn't attached properly or you got some serious case cooling issues.

62c is the max limit for that cpu.
January 4, 2012 9:54:20 PM

I am using the "M4A785TD-V EVO" Motherboard, I've been in BIOS but I couldn't find any options like that.
January 4, 2012 9:55:44 PM

Geekapproved

Of course I didn't think that, but it did lower it down though.
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 10:21:28 PM

Salige said:
I am using the "M4A785TD-V EVO" Motherboard, I've been in BIOS but I couldn't find any options like that.

Hi :) 

From memory the setting in that Bios is someting like CPU CORE (which will usually say AUTO) ..YOU CLICK ON IT AND CHANGE IT to MANUAL and it should show you all cores which you can then turn on individually.....

All the best Brett :) 
January 5, 2012 12:23:34 AM

Ok, I've reduced the temp by far when I cleaned my heatsink, it's on 40 idle now. But I still can't fix the core problem. I've tried every CPU option in bios, including the ACC function.

It still says, 1 core on Speccy, CPU-Z and in MSCONFIG

I've also tried to restart my motherboard, that didn't work either.

Any suggestions?
January 5, 2012 2:36:30 AM

Nevermind, I've fixed it! I just had to turn off everything in Msconfig "Advance" Tab.

Thanks for the help everyone!
!