Sign in with
Your question

HELP!!!! My AMD Athlon II x3 Temperature just went to over 100C

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2012 9:42:24 PM

I was playing css for about an hour and my CPU was at its normal 25C temperature and then I got onto la noire and after about 5 mins of playing my computer went into sleep mode. After it did that I turned it back on and turned off the game and on coretemp only one of my cores was at 144C! I freaked out and turned off my Computer immediatly and havnt turned it on since. So now what should I do? I have never overclocked it ever and have not done anything to it except put an aftermarket cooler on. So could my CPU have burned up? Should I turn on my Computer? Or just what should I do?
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 9:49:54 PM

Penley54 said:
I was playing css for about an hour and my CPU was at its normal 25C temperature and then I got onto la noire and after about 5 mins of playing my computer went into sleep mode. After it did that I turned it back on and turned off the game and on coretemp only one of my cores was at 144C! I freaked out and turned off my Computer immediatly and havnt turned it on since. So now what should I do? I have never overclocked it ever and have not done anything to it except put an aftermarket cooler on. So could my CPU have burned up? Should I turn on my Computer? Or just what should I do?

Hi :) 

Let it cool down TOTALLY ...so you can touch the heatsink without burning yourself...

Then check the "aftermarket cooler" you put on...was it recently ? It sounds like its either not seating properly or has come unclipped or you didnt put new cpu cement on it ?

Recement with something like artic silver (after cleaning of ALL the old stuff from BOTH surfaces) then go into the bios and watch the temperature as you start it... if it hits 70 degrees its TOO HOT....so turn it off instantly and ask again...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 4, 2012 10:03:03 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Let it cool down TOTALLY ...so you can touch the heatsink without burning yourself...

Then check the "aftermarket cooler" you put on...was it recently ? It sounds like its either not seating properly or has come unclipped or you didnt put new cpu cement on it ?

Recement with something like artic silver (after cleaning of ALL the old stuff from BOTH surfaces) then go into the bios and watch the temperature as you start it... if it hits 70 degrees its TOO HOT....so turn it off instantly and ask again...

I have the Xigmatek 1283 cooler so it is a very big cooler and I touched it and I felt no heat??? So I think I am going to turn it back on and boot into the BIOS and check my temperature because it was only one of the cores. And if it helps, I have had this heatsink on for about 2 months and have never had a problem like this... Do you think it is a good idea to turn it on like I said?
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2012 10:27:53 PM

I just turned on my Computer and booted into Windows and my Temperatures are back to there normal Temperatures. Is there any way that could of been like a false reading or something? Could my Computer still be in danger? What should I do to prevent that from happening again?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 11:22:35 PM

Penley54 said:
I just turned on my Computer and booted into Windows and my Temperatures are back to there normal Temperatures. Is there any way that could of been like a false reading or something? Could my Computer still be in danger? What should I do to prevent that from happening again?

Yes it could easily have been a false reading...where did you get that reading from ?

The only true reading will be in the bios....

m
l
January 4, 2012 11:24:14 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Yes it could easily have been a false reading...where did you get that reading from ?

The only true reading will be in the bios....

I got the reading from the application CoreTemp
m
l
!