SLI two 285gtx or one more powerful newer card

Hello,
I am running a NVidea 285 gtx at the moment and would like to know if it would be better to buy another one and sli them together or buy a more powerful newer card.
What single card would the sli setup be roughly equivelent to ?
This would be a gaming setup.

System
Crosshair III MB
AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz Quadcore
8 Gbs skill Ram
Corsair 850W power supply

Thanks in advance for your help
9 answers Last reply
More about 285gtx powerful newer card
  1. Use this reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6870-geforce-gtx-570,2834-7.html

Go with a single card 2 levels higher than what you have now.

(BTW, there may be newer GPU Hierarchy charts at Tom's)
  2. Thanks for the reply
    I guess what im asking is I can get another 285 for about 5o pounds which is a lot cheaper than getting say a 570. What single card would two 285 s be comparable to?
  3. toorisky said:
    Thanks for the reply
    I guess what im asking is I can get another 285 for about 5o pounds which is a lot cheaper than getting say a 570. What single card would two 285 s be comparable to?

Other than a GTX590 I don't think there is any single card that is going to be more powerful than a pair of GTX285's. If DX11 is not a big deal for you then I would say go for it, I'm currently testing a GTX580 and I can tell you now that whilst it's quite powerful it's not as mind blowing as some would have you believe.
  4. Actually in most of the benchmarks the GTX560ti isn't far behind a GTX285 SLI(far behind as in 10-20fps).So I guess you can consider that the closest comparison to a GTX285 SLI would be a GTX560ti and the GTX570.

Although the GTX 285 SLI is more powerful than the GTX560ti I would still prefer going with the GTX560ti.DX11 looks really good and you can always add another GTX560ti for SLI which is a very good SLI setup.That's only what I would prefer but from a budget perspective the GTX285 SLI wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

GTX285 SLI

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-285-review--3way-sli/13

GTX560ti

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-review/12

Since the cards are so far apart in release dates I used Far Cry 2 and Crysis Warhead as the benchmarks for comparison.
  5. Im a bit puzzled, two of these replies indicate that the 285 doesn't support DX11 but I am running DX11 already !
  6. toorisky said:
    Im a bit puzzled, two of these replies indicate that the 285 doesn't support DX11 but I am running DX11 already !

Your OS might be if it is W7 or Vista but your card can only run up to DX10.
  7. Yes I would agree.It's likely your OS that is DX11 but the GTX285 is for sure a DX10 card.And theirs no way it can become a DX11 card.
  8. Thanks for your help guys , much appreciated!
  9. get another 285 they can be found on ebay for cheap, then use that until the next gen cards come out
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Graphics