Sign in with
Your question

How big is the heatsink fan for the intel sandybridge i5-2500 core i5 quad-core

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2012 11:04:05 PM

i want to put the Intel Sandybridge i5-2500 Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155) onto the ASUS 1155 P8P67-M PRO REV 3.0 M-ATX mother board and put the motherboard into the Thermaltake Armor A30 case. in the reviews it says that the cooling fan for the CPU has to be less than 90mm but I cant find out how big it is can you help?

a b à CPUs
January 4, 2012 11:07:22 PM

it will fit, the HSF is a flat style

January 5, 2012 12:10:02 PM

Cool I'm glad it will fit :D  just a quick question though in the reviews someone said about how the air is pushed down to cool the CPU but because the exhaust fans at the top and back of the Thermaltake chassis pulling the heat up and out it was working against the heatsink fan would it be wise to reverse the heatsink fan so it is also pulling the heat up and away from the CPU? The review says it improved it by 2-3c !!! I'm new to all this building computer stuff so any advice is helpful :D  I will be fitting in 4x4Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3's with the HyperX cooling fan and an EVGA Nvidia 550Ti graphics card too is this ok?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2012 2:11:26 PM

its fine, i just built an intel set up using that exact same cooler with a top and back fan as exhaust. It did a solid job keeping the stock CPU cool even at load. A 2-3c improvement is minor unless you are looking to push OC to the limit.

you should be fine with your set up
a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 5, 2012 3:38:49 PM

The stock cooler works fine as long as you seat it well. As far as the memory there is some good Kingston HyperX DDR 3 out there but make sure that you select the 1.5v and not the 1.65v as the higher voltage can cause some problems with the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
January 5, 2012 4:02:22 PM

Damn the Kingston Hyperx I ordered is the 1.65v :(  will they make much of a difference, im quite clueless to be fair its my first build, its not going to be used for gaming, more media stuff than anything... what kind of problems could I possibly be facing and could I prevent it at all?

cheers guys for your help by the way its all coming together slowly but I just want to make sure I don't fry the bloody thing. The EVGA Nvidia Graphics card has its own fan built into it and like I said I have the HyperX cooling accessory for the HyperX DDR3's the CPU has its own Heatsink Fan, the Thermaltake Armor A30 chassis has a massive exhaust fan at the top plus two exhaust fans to the rear and a cooling fan at the front, the one thing I haven't mentioned is the PSU... I know that it would also have a cooling fan but im a bit stuck as I'm not sure if the A30 case comes with one or not and if not i'm not sure which to go for... Any suggestions? I'm thinking around the 650v mark... too much? too little?
is there anything else that i'm missing for this build?
!