Advice on installing new memory

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I have checked out the FAQ's and done as much research as I can on this problem, but I am still very unsure, so I thought I would post my problems here.

I currently have an Asus P5QC motherboard, with 4GB DDR 2 RAM. This is the exact RAM I have:

http://www.corsair.com/twin2x4096-6400c5c.html

My CPU is an Intel E8500 @ 3.16ghz, no overclocking has been done.

So here is my problem/question:

I wish to upgrade to DDR3 ram, as it is a cheap but hopefully worthy upgrade for my aging system. However, although the motherboard supports DDR3 RAM, I am really struggling to find which type it will accept. I do not believe it accepts 1600mhz RAM as it does not say anything about it in the user manual.

I have been searching for a DDR3 upgrade that may be compatible with this motherboard, and I have found this RAM kit:

http://patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=9&catid=34&prodgroupid=226&id=1170&type=1

I have no idea if this RAM is compatible or not, could anybody clarify?

Also, if for example this RAM is compatible, will it be as simple as unplugging my old RAM, and plugging these 2 new blocks in?

Because from what I have seen, I assume it will not be that simple? I say this because my current ram runs at 800mhz with 5-5-5-18 latency, however from what I could find, the new RAM listed above runs 1333mhz with 8-8-8-24?

Would I need to change any bios settings upon installing the new RAM?

I am really sorry for such a long and probably stupid post, but I am really struggling for help.

Thanks very much to anybody that can assist me, it would really mean a lot.

Regards,

Richard.

thefuzzybuddy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

On the Motherboards specifications page it says ( http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5QC/ ) -

''2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1333/1066/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
4 x DIMM, max. 16GB, DDR2 1066 / 800 / 667 MHz, Non-ECC, Un-buffered memory
*DDR2 1066MHz DIMMs work only on the black slots for one DIMM per channel. Ensure to install the DDR2 1066MHz DIMMs ONLY on the BLACK slots! ''

That should have given you the information you need

Hope this helped

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Thank you both very much for the replies. I'm sorry if there is information I should have found myself, it just all seems very confusing!

I understand now that 1333mhz DDR3 RAM is compatible, can I just ask one last question:

In regards to the different latency's between my current RAM and the new one, will I need to manually change anything in the bios after physically installing the new RAM?

Thanks a lot!

Rich.

Changing memory is not going to do anything to your system that you will notice, and unless you are running a 64bit OS, you cannot use more than 4 gig. Is there a specific problem you are having that you are hoping new memory will fix?
But, beyond these questions, yes, you simply pull out the old memory, and insert the new into the correct slots, and you are done.

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hi Mate,

Yes I am using a 64bit OS.

The main reason I wish to upgrade the memory is that I do a lot of video editing, and I was hoping upgrading to DDR3 would provide a slight increase in performance for such tasks.

There are no issues as such, just a relatively low budget upgrade that I hope could help me out a little.

Thanks!

zdbc13

Distinguished
Memory is very cheap these days.I'd go ahead and upgrade. The motherboard will automatically detect the new memory settings. It appears you only have 2 DDR3 slots (orange) and it supports up to 16gb. So the largest you can get are 8gb modules. You can't use your DDR2 memory if you get some DDR3, just resell them when you get things working.

I don't recommend buying DDR3 higher than 1333. If you want higher clocks you will have to adjust bios settings which can be a problem.

Good luck.

richiespeed13

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Thanks very much for your reply mate, it has helped me a lot!

I have actually done exactly what you said, I have gone for 2x 4GB DDR3 modules, at 1333mhz. As long as I get them working well I will go ahead and see if I can sell the old memory.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS