Applied New Thermal Paste now SMell

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I Applied New Thermal Paste a few hours ago. And I have been noticing a new smell coming out of my case and I don't like the smell.

How long do i have to live like this?

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Umm....well the last time I applied thermal paste was 6 months ago then I went on vacation. So my computers been sitting beside my desk for about 6 months. After I came back there was no noticable scent. And last night I applied a new coating of thermal paste because the heat sink had a lot of dust so I opened it to clean it

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have a similar story.

Started buying parts for new build in November, looking for sales, hoping to assemble after Fall semester, over Christmas. Got everything by mid-November. Asus p8z68-v & i5-2500K; everything POSTed with stock cooler, so left it alone.

CM 212 Evo on sale, right before Christmas, so bought and installed using stock CM paste. Started standard tests, e.g., Intel Burn, OCCT, etc. Needed to remount that 212 Evo !!

When the mobo heats up, computer gives off acrid smell, rather dense and sticky. Tough to get rid of. Burns nose, but I had a cold anyway.

Smell not from (used) TX750 because I could smell source was venting through top back fan, not PSU.

Haven't used new build for a couple of weeks -- just busy -- but I "think" I can still smell it. Weather too cold to air out the house all day while I burn-off the PCBs and lacquer and whatever.

Ran the tests with mobo outside of case, but couldn't smell it.

Any ideas? Is this poisonous? Otherwise I'll just cook it off vs RMA- and- they- can't- find- any- problem.

BTW: spikes and drops with HWmonitor.

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I meant the CPU COOLER came with the thermal compound. And after about 1 day of computer use the thermal compound no longer creates a smell. I guess it set in.

No more smell

Thanks for all your answers though.
/ close thread

Status
Not open for further replies.