Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual 1080p display graphics card(s)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2011 2:41:31 AM

I thought I was pretty savy---But. I cannot figure out how to get my HIS 6790 to display two different monitors. I got the computer running. In a Thermaltake V9BlacX box w/ topPower 500w PS, Msi 890FXA-GD70 MB, amd|ATH II X4, 640 3.0G AM3 RT, 8 GB ddr3 Kingston, HIS 6790 1GB PCI 2.1 RADEON video card, under WIN7 home premium. I have a couple of Samsung LCD monitors. I can only get one to run at a time.

Best solution

a c 129 U Graphics card
August 4, 2011 12:19:49 PM

Does your HIS model resemble this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are you using the DVI for both connections?

Did you download the Catalyst Control Center (CCC)/drivers and install them?

In CCC under 'displays' or 'displays manager', is the second monitor listed? If so check the box and choose the 'Extend...' option.

Even if you don't have the CCC installed, in Win 7, you can right click on the background and choose the 'Screen resolution' option from the context menu. It should show your two displays. Under the 'Multiple Displays', click the drop-down and choose 'Extend these displays'.
August 4, 2011 9:45:46 PM

ubercake said:
Does your HIS model resemble this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are you using the DVI for both connections?

Did you download the Catalyst Control Center (CCC)/drivers and install them?

In CCC under 'displays' or 'displays manager', is the second monitor listed? If so check the box and choose the 'Extend...' option.

Even if you don't have the CCC installed, in Win 7, you can right click on the background and choose the 'Screen resolution' option from the context menu. It should show your two displays. Under the 'Multiple Displays', click the drop-down and choose 'Extend these displays'.

Thanks for your reply.
That is the same series card. Mine is a 6790.
I am using both DVIs. Only the top one is outputing signal.
I had downloaded the CCC but discovered they had an update so I downloaded that one.
In the AMD VISION Engine Control Center, Desktop Management I only see one display and no more get identified.
In the HydraVision Multi DesktopI enabled MultiDesktop and set the max to 2.
Under Desktop Management\Creating and Arranging Desktops\ only display 1 shows up and “Detect” doesn't find another.

When I do the screen resolution action on the WIN7 desktop, only one display shows up. It is identified as the BIG 1.
Score
Related resources
August 7, 2011 3:41:52 PM

I am more savy than I thought. I found an explanation of of DVI Connectors and learned:

I have one each DVI ports on my HIS 6790. One a DVI-D. That port only outputs DIGITAL signal. That is why, I presume, my OS did not 'detect' the analog display device on the DVI-vga connector I was using.

The other is a DVI-I (Dual link) which outputs both Digital and Analog. That makes my old VGA cables work on only the DVI-I port. I have ordered DVI to DVI cables for both. I understand that I will have superior signal to the monitors without the Digital to VGA conversion required otherwise.

Thanks for your support.
Score
August 14, 2011 2:09:06 AM

Best answer selected by chuckiejones.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2012 8:11:33 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!