What's better AMD or Nvidia, right now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessjess11

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Can someone please explain why one is better than the other. Also If I was to buy a mid to high range graphics card which one would be recommended?

they pretty much equal to me. sometimes it depends on the feature you want from the card. if you want PhysX and CUDA you go for nvidia. if you want multi monitor with a single card (Eyefinity) you go for AMD. what is your budget and preferred gaming resolution? please list down your system spec as well. easier for us to recommend what card suited your needs if we know that

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005

amd= better performance per watt/dollar, cooler temperatures/less noise, more frequent driver updates, excellent multicard/multi-monitor support.

nvidia= more heat/noise, higher power usage, more overclocking room, less frequent driver updates. gimmicky physx and cuda stuff you don't need to worry about or base your decision on.

Toms has a monthly article that is very good for helping people select video cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964.html

Highly recommended it. Pay attention to the Hierarchy at the end....i have an amd 5870...anything on the same level or better and you'll be very happy assuming your cpu/ram are worth a crap. :pt1cable:

like the guy said give us the rest of your specs.

theducksknow

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
i agree with renz

it all depends on the card... nvidia is usually more expensive than amd. im on a 6950 and it is a beast and is excellent to overclock...don't know about nvidia but the 560ti is meant to be just as powerful if not more. it's really just down to your preference. i tend to want awesome performance but at a budget (i don't want to spend a lot :p) that's why i go with AMD cards. and i've found at times i can get better performance than someone with the equal nvidia card...

to me it's:
AMD (eyefinity, Insane overclocking)
Nvidia (phsyx, tends to be a bit more reliable - but if you know what you're doing amd can be just as reliable)

^^this is complete fanboyism, have you onwed any of the most recent series of cards!? nvidias 5 series run cool and quiet although they do draw a good amount of power, amd has louder cards that generally draw less power but have worse (multi gpu) drivers at this point.

christop

Distinguished
AMD and Nvidia both make good products. I go with what ever has the best bang for the buck. I am running 2 5850s in cf. If you have the cash and game at 1900X1200 with all the eye candy get a 6990 or 580 if your PSU and Cpu can handle it.

at 1900x1200 you don't need 6990. 1 GTX580 should be enough. if you feel GTX580 is too expensive for a single card you can look for GTX570 and overclok the card to match GTX 580 stock performance. some model cost below 300 after MIR at newegg right now. unless you want stereoscopic 3D stuff then you might want to go for multi-gpu setup since enabling the 3D effect will cut your frame rates to half

Status
Not open for further replies.