Sign in with
Your question

$600 Budget Gaming PC suggestions...?

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2011 1:58:11 AM

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions on the computer parts I just ordered. I thought I was getting a pretty good deal on the parts I have chosen, however, the total still comes to $600 AFTER taxes+shipping costs. (I'm from Ontario, Canada with 13% tax rate, ~$40 shipping cost.)

SPECS:

ASUS M4N75TD AM3 SLI MOTHERBOARD - $90
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N75TD/

AMD PHENOM II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz QUAD-CORE CPU - $105
http://www.amd.com/us/products/pricing/Pages/desktop-ph...

2x EVGA 9800GT 1GB DDR3 GPU SLI - $80 (after $60 rebate) [for both]
http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/01g-p3-n988-tr.pdf

CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHz DDR3 8GB RAM- $55
http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengean...

OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO 700W MODULAR 80PLUS POWER SUPPLY - $45 (after $30 rebate)
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-500w-700w-modxstream-p...

THERMALTAKE ARMOR A90 CHASSIS - $40 (after $25 rebate)
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1325&ID=19...

WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE 500GB HARD DRIVE - $40
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=110

SONY OPTIARC 24x DVD DRIVE - $20
http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/productshalf-height-drive...

BELKIN N WIRELESS USB ADAPTER - $15
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_...

+ 1 120mm case fan
120mm white – intake (side)

* Total cost = $570

I know I will be getting some comments related to the 9800GTs that I will be using, but those are GPUs which I already have, so I rather re-use them than buy a newer card atm... so... yeah u_U"

Thanks,
October 5, 2011 2:32:39 AM

First things first is your hdd. Although it does save power it is drastically slow compared to others within the same price range.

For video cards, those will do fine however don't expect that you can run high end games such as BF3 on max settings and high res. since the shaders and clock speeds on the card are a bit slow in today's standards (sli won't help as much).

If you are able to, I would get a cheap but well built aftermarket cooler to maximize the life of your cpu and widen the possibility of overclocking. (good ones are the cooler master hyper 212+ and the corsair a50(i currently use it)

Overall, the parts you've chosen are pretty good, but since your budget is $600 you could've have gotten more for less, but that's just my opinion.

Btw did you order from newegg.ca or did you order all the parts separately because ordering from different places instead of one location isn't very budget friendly.
October 5, 2011 2:51:53 AM

Hey zero88

Thanks for the reply. I would have to agree with you on everything you mentioned.

For the HDD, I realize that the "green" is technically slower.... but I didn't realize it would be a DRASTIC difference... Is it that noticeable? Even for everyday use? (I only chose the green over the blue/black due to the much better GB/$ ratio ><")

As for the graphic cards, I know they're not as good as the newer ones, but I am not a hardcore gamer so anything that runs smoothly at about medium resolution is realistic enough for me.

Can you tell me which parts you think I paid too much for? The only piece was I uncomfortable paying so much for was the Motherboard, however, it was the cheapest ASUS motherboard which allowed me to SLI decently.

I know I said "$600" in the thread title, but in reality, before taxes and shipping, it is actually LESS than $500. So you could say this was on a $500 budget.

As for where I purchased the parts, I actually got some it from tigerdirect.ca, while buying some parts locally due to unavailability... so I kinda factored in driving costs as well... hehe. Next time, I should just buy all the parts all at once from one place, shouldn't I...?

Thanks again,
Related resources
October 5, 2011 3:11:59 AM

I always see ncix.com and directcanada.com (or .ca) suggested for online canadian vendors.
October 5, 2011 3:20:14 AM

uh.. ill tell on the basis of my rig that costed me some 25000 INR...
so.. your budget reaches to some 30000 INR.. so you got a lot of cash since you are not after GPU.. so i say you take..

- AMD 6 core processor (i am recommending that since i am using x4 965 and it is great but 6 core will do better at that budget of yours)
- GIGABYTE 880GM-USB3
- 8 GB Transcend ram.. take four 2 GB.. you will get increased performance (i have 4 GB.. but since you got high budget you can take it upto 6GB.. if you got cash then go for 8GB)
- HDD - Your wish..
- take a nice PSU.. say about 400 Watts Coolermaster..

note :- this mobo has inbuilt gpu.. and will not support dual gpu.. you can change the MOBO as per your cash requirements.. :) 
October 5, 2011 3:39:34 AM

for $500 Canadian, I'll suggest a new PC including a GPU:

i3-2100 ~125
AS Rock H61M-VS ~55
4 GB DDR-1333: ~25
Cheap DVD burner: ~20
Seagate 7200rpm 500 GB HDD ~40
Xigmatek 400W PSU: ~35
Xigmatek Asgard case: ~30
HD 6850: ~170

total ~500
October 5, 2011 4:06:39 AM

Well imo, hdd speeds are rarely noticable, however if you plan on getting one in the future try to look for one with 7200rpm speeds. But overall, you spent your money on good quality parts, especially the psu (most important component i think). Happy Building :D 
rex000 said:
Hey zero88

Thanks for the reply. I would have to agree with you on everything you mentioned.

For the HDD, I realize that the "green" is technically slower.... but I didn't realize it would be a DRASTIC difference... Is it that noticeable? Even for everyday use? (I only chose the green over the blue/black due to the much better GB/$ ratio ><")

As for the graphic cards, I know they're not as good as the newer ones, but I am not a hardcore gamer so anything that runs smoothly at about medium resolution is realistic enough for me.

Can you tell me which parts you think I paid too much for? The only piece was I uncomfortable paying so much for was the Motherboard, however, it was the cheapest ASUS motherboard which allowed me to SLI decently.

I know I said "$600" in the thread title, but in reality, before taxes and shipping, it is actually LESS than $500. So you could say this was on a $500 budget.

As for where I purchased the parts, I actually got some it from tigerdirect.ca, while buying some parts locally due to unavailability... so I kinda factored in driving costs as well... hehe. Next time, I should just buy all the parts all at once from one place, shouldn't I...?

Thanks again,

October 5, 2011 4:10:07 AM

Wow can't believe no one else read the full article. He said he already purchased all the components and wanted opinions not configurations. Omg. :sarcastic: 
October 5, 2011 4:12:25 AM

So what kind of opinions are we supposed to give, if not about alternate parts?
October 5, 2011 4:38:04 AM

Hahaha it's all good. Thanks everyone for your replies. I do appreciate every single one, honestly.

Good to learn about different configurations I could've went, I will be building more computers in the near future so I'll keep all your suggestions in mind.

To reply to zero888,

I had the same impression regarding HDD speeds, I thought they were hardly noticeable, especially since most HDDs from prebuilt computers run @ 5400RPM anyway...

That being said, I DO, in fact, have a Western Digital Caviar BLUE 500GB 16MBcache 7200RPM HDD ($40), which I will most likely swap in, after hearing your comment. I bought the WD Caviar Green ($45), because I couldn't get the BLUE for that price anymore, they raised it to $45 as well. With that, I decided to get the GREEN 750GB 64MBcache HDD, since it is more GB/$.... also this HDD has a lot more cache.

Does anyone know if the cache makes a big difference? 64MB vs 16MB

Thanks again,
November 1, 2011 12:54:47 AM

Hey sorry to dig up an old thread,

I'm thinking about upgrading my video cards in the near future and wanted to do some thinking before the time came.

I am using the 700W PSU, and a motherboard which supports 2 PCI-E 2.0 x8/x8.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
November 1, 2011 3:56:10 AM

I'm not sure if newer cards will be supported in those configurations you have specified, however I think that if you look at some of the mid-ranged cards, you'll probably be able to find something that suits your needs. Sorry that I can't list some examples since I'm not a huge pc gamer, however I do want to use a xfire or sli rig with more cores in the future XD
November 1, 2011 3:06:01 PM

Thanks zero888,

I've done some research. a 700W PSU can handle quite a bit actually. I think I would be able to choose one high end card at least. I just wasn't sure which card would be the best bang for buck kinda thing.

I think I would be choosing an NVIDIA card, because it would be the most compatible (with chipset & SLI), but I'm not quite sure which card would be the best hang for buck. the GTX 550Ti, GTX 460, GTX 560, GTX 560Ti.... so many choices.

Is $99.99 (After MIR) for a GTX 460 a good deal? Or should I expect to see the prices drop soooon.
!