New video card, no display even at BIOS.

So, I've been fighting with this for the past two days. I finally decided to upgrade the video card in my admittedly outdated computer. I decided to go from a nVidia 9600GT to a Radeon HD 6850. I uninstalled the old drivers, both manually and with a cleaner just in case, and went to putting in my new card. And... nothing. There's one post beep, slightly more delayed than usual, followed by a black screen. No display whatsoever. I can even hear the Windows boot-up sound after a little bit, but still no video. I put my old card back in and voila, no problems at all.

Anyway, these are my system specs. I know it's not the most impressive system in the world, but I'm working to rectify that with a new build by the end of the year:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Mobo: Asus M3N78 Pro
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650W

Now, here's what I've tried so far:
1) Tried my old video card, which worked just the same as always (of course, minus the drivers).
2) Tried reseating the new video card and the RAM.
3) Tried a BIOS update.
4) Tried a CMOS reset.
5) Tried plugging it up to another monitor using DVI. Still nothing.
6) Tried plugging it up to another monitor using HDMI. Still nothing.
7) Finally, I decided that the video card must be DOA, but for kicks, I decided to try it out in a friend's computer. Note that he had a 680W PSU and a motherboard even older than mine. I was expecting nothing, but what do you know. Worked perfectly fine without any hassle what so ever.

I'm at my wit's end here. I can't think of a single thing that I could be doing wrong. Anyone else?
2 answers Last reply
More about video card display bios
  1. I will guess you plugged the 6 pin into the card. Can you try your friend psu in your case and see if it the gpu will work. Maybe your psu is dying. Good luck.
  2. Could be a PSU or Mobo problem on your end.
    650W psu should power that no problem...
    Have your friend help you out with his parts to test and check.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Displays