So, I've been fighting with this for the past two days. I finally decided to upgrade the video card in my admittedly outdated computer. I decided to go from a nVidia 9600GT to a Radeon HD 6850. I uninstalled the old drivers, both manually and with a cleaner just in case, and went to putting in my new card. And... nothing. There's one post beep, slightly more delayed than usual, followed by a black screen. No display whatsoever. I can even hear the Windows boot-up sound after a little bit, but still no video. I put my old card back in and voila, no problems at all.
Anyway, these are my system specs. I know it's not the most impressive system in the world, but I'm working to rectify that with a new build by the end of the year:
OS: Windows 7 64-Bit
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Mobo: Asus M3N78 Pro
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 650W
Now, here's what I've tried so far:
1) Tried my old video card, which worked just the same as always (of course, minus the drivers).
2) Tried reseating the new video card and the RAM.
3) Tried a BIOS update.
4) Tried a CMOS reset.
5) Tried plugging it up to another monitor using DVI. Still nothing.
6) Tried plugging it up to another monitor using HDMI. Still nothing.
7) Finally, I decided that the video card must be DOA, but for kicks, I decided to try it out in a friend's computer. Note that he had a 680W PSU and a motherboard even older than mine. I was expecting nothing, but what do you know. Worked perfectly fine without any hassle what so ever.
I'm at my wit's end here. I can't think of a single thing that I could be doing wrong. Anyone else?