Monitor- looking for some advice

bruceknight

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I've been researching monitors for the past week, am looking for a LED 27" monitor, 2560 X 1440, 120 Hz refresh, and latency that is not too bad- maybe 6 ms. To give some perspective I have been looking at the Apple Cinema Display and would consider getting it (the 12 ms latency may be a little high), other than the need to convert from my DVI-D to the mini display port format, and the need to connect a Mac to it to set the brightness. (I do have some Apple products, but some lack the mini display port (prior to 2008), and it seems real messy to have to connect up a Mac just to set the brightness).

My video card is a GTX 460 1 GB, and am running Windows 7 64. I use my PC mainly for flight simulator (FSX), so lots of rapid movement involved. I don't mind paying a bit more for something good, and am wondering what an equivalent to the Apple Cinema Display might be (if one exists) that would run on a PC more easily? I am wanting to allow for possible 3D too, hence the requirement for 120 Hz.

I've looked around the various manufacturers' sites and can't seem to find what I'm looking for- so thought I would ask here for suggestions.

Thanks, Bruce.

bruceknight

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for the reply. What I am seeing as I look further (and from your post) is that it’s not possible to do 27” at 2560 X 1440 and 120 Hz refresh IPS panel (other than maybe that Apple Cinema Display, not sure what panel is used there but it does appear to have the 27” at 2560 X 1440 and 120 Hz- but is difficult to use on a PC due to the fact that the brightness is set on a Mac).

Will keep looking, right now I am weighing the relative merits of screen size, resolution and refresh (refresh having significance for nVidia 3D).

Thanks, Bruce.

Bugsy68

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Hi Bruce,

Keep us posted here on what you come up with. I'm in the market for a new monitor also and I'd love a 30 incher, but the prices are quite prohibitive! I've been considering a 27" monitor instead since I can almost get 2 of them (good ones) for the same price as a good 30" unit! It seems odd to me that most of the larger monitors max out at resolutions of 1920 X 1080. I'd figure that with more real estate available the mfgs would take advantage of it...

Bugsy

bruceknight

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

Yes, will do. However the Apple monitor I refer to above does 2560 X 1440 or close to it, with 120 Hz at 27" for $999, but I'm not sure what the technical trade-off is, if any- but it's almost impossible to use with a PC unless you have a mini display port in your GPU (or an adaptor from DVI-D), and you need a Mac to set the brightness, I understand.

Still looking...... Bruce.