Sign in with
Your question

Best Video Card!! Dell Optiplex 745 SFF 2.8Ghtz Dual DDR2 4GB Ram

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2011 4:20:36 AM

I have an older optiplex. THere is a PCI-express x16 slot open and i have read that even if it is a PCI-e 1.0 or 1.1 that a 2.0 or 2.1 would still run fine. I am looking for the best video card that would fit (needs to be Low profile) and compatible with the power supply (275W). The current video card has 256MB memory and 128 bit.

One in mind is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only problem is the minimum psu wattage is 300. I have been told that since my model is the Small Form Factor and does not have alot of room that it is hard to get better psu. So my questions are is this an accurate upgrade for my current video card and would i be abler to get by with only a 275W power supply unit? Thank You
August 4, 2011 4:47:59 AM

PS im mainly only trying to run WoW and the new star wars when it comes out at above average performance
Related resources
August 4, 2011 6:22:43 AM

They both look real nice, my only questiuon would be if they would be compatible with my DDR2 motherboard. Searching through other threads i thought i saw someone say DDR2 slots are different from DDR3 slots on the motherboard. If not and i could use DDR3 graphics cards on my DDR2 motherboard, that would be great!
PS i know that the difference between DDR2 and 3 with RAM is way different then DDR2 and 3 when it comes to Graphics cards. I only thought the slots didnt match, but then again, theres a good chance im mistaken.
Thanks for your time.
August 4, 2011 6:41:32 AM

Yeah, they'd work just fine! :D 
The GDDR2/GDDR3/GDDR5 memory is inside the card.
The connection is PCIe x16, which is what matters.
August 4, 2011 6:59:18 AM

SWEET!!! so i could even get a DDR5 if i wanted too? lol that was more of a "what if" statement lol but thats awesome, thanks alot! also I just noticed the psu reguirements were around 300-350, do you know if these are more just recommendations rather then requirements?
August 4, 2011 7:05:32 AM

Yes indeed!
Just "recommendations."
I used this watt calculator
and put in some pretty generous settings and it said recommended was 277w, minimum of 227w (remember generous settings, even included that the cpu was overclocked).
You should follow that link and plug in what you've got and see what it tells you.
And don't forget to plug the GT 430 into it all either. :) 

But I'm gonna say you'd be good to go with one of those cards!
August 4, 2011 7:14:24 AM

awesome, thanks again for the help! :) 
August 4, 2011 7:16:56 AM

No problem! :D 
Enjoy your new card!
!