Closed Solved

Help on buying a decent sound card and speakers...

Hi guys.I am looking for a sound card for music and gaming..My system configuration is as follows -
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t
GTX 460
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper N620 CPU Cooler
So according to my system configuration which will be a good sound card and speakers set.I also have my eyes on ASUS Xonar D2X.Is this a good sound card and will it be compatible with my system.
Please give your expert advices?? :hello:
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help buying decent sound card speakers
  1. You definitely don't need a sound card. You won't be able to tell the difference between a card and integrated sound, not unless you have some giant headphones that need the amplification.
    Take the money that you would have spent on the sound card and put it toward the speakers. If you can, the M-Audio BX5a set is awesome (I've got some).
  2. Best answer
    Is there a particular reason for "wanting" a sound card? Unless your recording something, or your hardware isn't working properly, I would rather invest in some quality speakers and receiver than buy a sound card. You won't hear a difference from the sound card if you are using $20 speakers, but you will hear the difference from a good pair of $150+ speakers.

Apart from that the D2X seems outdated and was superseeded by Xonar. The only other card that I know is the creative X-Fi which I've used personally, but ever since I switched to windows 7 when I bought an SSD I've had nothing but driver problems and ended up trashing the card and going back to onboard. And yeah I couldn't tell the difference in sound quality with $500 stereo speakers. But results may vary! Your audio chipset might not give you the fidelity you want in which case go for it :)
  3. for music & games I will wait for the new Creative's Recon3D:

it's 96Khz but according to my experiences 192k cards produces fast ear fatigue.
  4. Logitech's Z506 could be a good for gaming

5. Personally as a competetive gamer I found my X-Fi XtremeGamer to be very helpful in my gameplay.. I could hear clearly where enemies were coming from, even the reload of weapons through walls. Good enough I was able to shoot people through the wall in call of duty 4 just from sound. I just ran into driver issues or something with my card and currently I have no sound and I am searching the market for a new card unless I can fix mine.
  6. Best answer selected by Mudit Sathe.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Speakers Configuration Components