Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build Gaming PC $800-$1000

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2011 4:12:27 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next few weeks

Budget Range: 800-1000 ( I want to save where possible)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Music, Surfing net

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, 160gb HDD and 2tb HDD, Monitor (19" Dell & HDTV), 5.1 home theatre system, PSU (my mates 2nd hand eXtreme Power Plus 650W... http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5924 )

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: http://www.msy.com.au/default.jsp?category=215

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: Here's what Ive been looking at so far..

CPU
Intel Core i5-2400 1155pin Boxed CPU
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7098

GPU
HIS 1GB 6870 PCI-E VGA Card
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6837

RAM
I want around 8GB of RAM. Im not sure what brand or how fast. (Im not looking at High end stuff, I just want something that does the job)

OS
Microsoft MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=5821

Motherboard
Ive been looking at the P67 and Z68 chipsets. All I really want out of the board is HD sound so I can play it through the GPU's HDMI out, overclocking in the future, gigabit network and crossfire/SLI ready. Looking for a good board for around $150 that can do the job. I dont need anything fancy but theres soo many MoBos to choose from im just not sure

Case/Cooling
I really have no idea. Ive never put a computer together. I just want to know that I can chuck in a good cooling system if i want to overclock/ add another GPU. Im after efficiency not looks.

PSU
Got my mates old PSU but im not sure its good enough for the system. Im happy to buy a very good PSU. I just really have little knowledge in this area

Overclocking: Yes (In future)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in future

Monitor Resolution: Old dell LCD monitor not sure its resolution.. 42" Plasma HD TV ( max resolution is 1366x768 ) . I will eventually upgrade TV

Additional Comments: Ive never put a computer together and its been 5 years since Ive looked into computers and parts so im wayyy out of the loop. I just wanna get the best price for the system. Im not looking for extreme performance, just something that does a decent job at playing game :) 

More about : build gaming 800 1000

October 5, 2011 4:36:28 AM

you should go amd for cpu, intel is a bit pricey and amd phenom ii is on par with i5 but cheaper, but if i were you i would wait for a couple of months if you should go amd because bull dozer is coming out and it has pretty good specs. As for cases i would go with Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1). Everything else if good for first build. :wahoo: 
m
l
October 5, 2011 4:42:11 AM

Thanks for the input

Any suggestions on a motherboard? and is that PSU good enough for the time being?
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2011 4:47:52 AM

your mobo is totally fine, your pcu is fine but i would personally go 750watts just in case you you choose to do heavy gaming like bf3. 1000 watts is really unnecessary.
m
l
October 5, 2011 4:53:04 AM

if i stayed with the 650watt PSU and did some heavy gaming is there a chance my other hardware could be destroyed in anyway if the PSU failed?
m
l
October 5, 2011 4:59:03 AM

im not a totally expert in power supplies (sorry), but i dont think there could be anychance there could be a failure due to gaming to hard. but again im not totally sure :( 
m
l

Best solution

October 5, 2011 5:32:02 AM

@spike:

Quote:
you should go amd for cpu

Quote:
your mobo is totally fine

You're suggesting the OP use an AMD CPU on an Intel based P67 or Z68 motherboard?

@OP:

Stick with Intel CPUs. Better performance although more expensive. Bulldozer won't come out till Q1 2012 (I think).

If money is an issue, go for a P67 mb. Asus (P8P67)/Gigabyte (GA-P67X-UD3R) are rock solid and have good features/performance. Asrock (P67 Extreme4) if budget conscious.

As for PSU, 1000W is unnecessary IMO. Go for a solid Antec/Seasonic/Corsair 80+ 750W unit.

For RAM, G-Skill DDR3 RipJaws CL9 XL 8Gb is dirt cheap and rock solid.

For cases, CoolerMaster (HAF 912)/Corsair (Carbide 400R).

Make sure you get a good CPU cooler (Thermalright 212, Zalman Performa).

Good luck with build.
October 5, 2011 5:38:46 AM

hunuok said:
@spike:

Quote:
you should go amd for cpu

Quote:
your mobo is totally fine

You're suggesting the OP use an AMD CPU on an Intel based P67 or Z68 motherboard?

@OP:

Stick with Intel CPUs. Better performance although more expensive. Bulldozer won't come out till Q1 2012 (I think).

If money is an issue, go for a P67 mb. Asus (P8P67)/Gigabyte (GA-P67X-UD3R) are rock solid and have good features/performance. Asrock (P67 Extreme4) if budget conscious.

As for PSU, 1000W is unnecessary IMO. Go for a solid Antec/Seasonic/Corsair 80+ 750W unit.

For RAM, G-Skill DDR3 RipJaws CL9 XL 8Gb is dirt cheap and rock solid.

For cases, CoolerMaster (HAF 912)/Corsair (Carbide 400R).

Make sure you get a good CPU cooler (Thermalright 212, Zalman Performa).

Good luck with build.

+1
m
l
October 5, 2011 6:57:10 AM

Sorry for all the questions but im soo confused with the power supplies! They have SATA connections? My old HDD's are SATA but i connect them by the molex connectors to power them and by SATA to transfer data (connected to MoBo). Am i missing something here. How would i connect my old HDD?

BTW thanks heaps hunuok thats exactly the info i was after! appreciated it. problem is the more i learn about computers the more questions i have!
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:11:50 AM

Bulldozers coming this month.
m
l
October 5, 2011 8:30:14 AM

Quote:
My old HDD's are SATA but i connect them by the molex connectors to power them and by SATA to transfer data (connected to MoBo).

Either Molex connector OR SATA connector to power HDD (comes with PSU).

The SATA cable that transfers data (connected to mobo) is a separate cable usually bundled together with your mobo.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From the diagram, the cable on the left (the reddish/pink or black nowadays) comes with mobo and connects to mobo. This transfers data.
You want to connect this to the Intel SATA port on your mobo for best performance. (Usually red or sky blue in color-see mobo manual for details).

The cable on the right comes with PSU and connects to PSU. This provides power.

Hope this clarifies some.
m
l
October 5, 2011 8:38:58 AM

hunuok said:
Hope this clarifies some.

Yep sure does! thanks
m
l
October 5, 2011 2:56:34 PM

ervinelim said:
Bulldozers coming this month.

Can you post a link to it's release date please.
m
l
October 5, 2011 3:01:38 PM

Why_Me said:
Can you post a link to it's release date please.

bulldozer is *now* rumored/supposed to come oct. 12. though I honestly doubt it will happen
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/new-amd-bulldozer-r...
http://www.bulldozeramd.com/2011/09/amd-bulldozer-relea...

though they can't really wait til q1 2012 to release. Cause I get the feeling that sandy bridge will still be better, and especially sandy bridge-e. and by then, ivy bridge will be fairly close
m
l
October 15, 2011 1:55:50 AM

Best answer selected by crissyb1988.
m
l
!