Blu-Ray 3D with NVIDIA 3D Vision?

lukeskywacko

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Does blu ray 3D playback on a PC with Nvidia 3D Vision work over the HDMI connector only?

I'm asking this because my Projector (acer x1261p) has a VGA connector only (no hdmi port).

werbo

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
I believe so, especially with newer software it may be implemented that any bluray playback has to be over hdmi, so keep it hdcp compliant so nobody can record the movies "illegally" :/

lukeskywacko

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Thank you for your reply!

There were not many resources on the web on this...

So, it looks like I'm S#it out of luck with this projector (x1261p) for viewing 3d bluray movies on my pc!
i should have spent a little more on the projector to buy one with hdmi port. :-0

In addition to the connection problems is the problem of having a display that can do 3d blu ray. There aren't many of them, and I don't know of a projector that can do this, but you could contact nVidia to see what'sn available. Here's a link to the 3d vision monitor page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html

lukeskywacko

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Update..

I bought Geforce GT 430 and installed it.

Bluray 3D actually worked!

- PowerDVD 11 Ultra
- GeForce GT 430 ( nvidia driver version 270.51 )
- Acer X1261P (nvidia 3d vision compatible, VGA connection only projector)

driver version 275 or 280 beta would give me a black screen with sound in PowerDVD 3D Mode, but with driver version 270, bluray 3d plays nicely with my setup!

Wow this is great news! Thanks for getting back to us with this knowledge, it will help with future recommendations.

lukeskywacko

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Just to add,

My 3D Glasses are just regular DLP LINK 3D glasses bought for cheap ($49) on ebay, not NVIDIA 3D VISION KIT + GLASSES which are a lot more expensive.

Making it work in NVIDIA 3D Vision mode was not too difficult. I just downloaded and ran the 3D Vision IR Emitter emulator program (googling) and it created a virtual device connected to my USB port. It tricks the system think that I have 3d vision emitter device, so 3d vision setup wizard will let me bypass the detection of this device. And yes, DLP LINK glasses do work without this 3d vision emitter device because it syncs directly to the screen, not to the signal from the ir emitter.

Using 3d vision mode, stereoscopic images are a lot smoother than software solutions like IZ3D and stereoscopic player's software pageflipping method.

just my 2c.