System won't boot

mountains

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
My newly built system (all new components) isn't booting properly - I don't get a display, and thus can't access BIOS, etc.

Yes, I've looked at the checklist.

So far, I have reseated the CPU, made sure the CPU cooler (an aftermarket Hyper 212+) is solidly installed, double checked the video card is secured properly, and fiddled around with the memory I bought. Everything that needs to be plugged in to boot has been plugged in. The MOBO is securely installed and I'm relatively sure I haven't killed it (my optical drive functions properly, if that's an indicator). I don't have a system speaker on hand.

I've two guesses at the moment:

-My XFX 6950 video card's fan is running (loudly) and there's a red LED lit, which seems to suggest the card may DOA. I can't find any documentation that came with the card.
-Alternatively, the memory might just be bad.

mountains

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Perhaps I should use more specific language: I've gone through the suggestions and haven't seen any noticeable change.

I'm not sure how to verify that my components haven't simply shorted out, and I don't have a system speaker on hand or easily available to check beep codes (I'd have to drive several hours or order one off an online retailer).

RE integrated video: I don't think my board supports that. There's no DVI/VGA connector at least.

My build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R
Power Supply: Antec 520
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
CPU Cooler: Coolmaster Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3
SSD: Crucial M4 120gb
Optical Disc Drive: Asus 24x DVD±RW Drive DVD- (Black)
Graphics Card: XFX HD 6950