System won't boot

My newly built system (all new components) isn't booting properly - I don't get a display, and thus can't access BIOS, etc.

Yes, I've looked at the checklist.

So far, I have reseated the CPU, made sure the CPU cooler (an aftermarket Hyper 212+) is solidly installed, double checked the video card is secured properly, and fiddled around with the memory I bought. Everything that needs to be plugged in to boot has been plugged in. The MOBO is securely installed and I'm relatively sure I haven't killed it (my optical drive functions properly, if that's an indicator). I don't have a system speaker on hand.

I've two guesses at the moment:

-My XFX 6950 video card's fan is running (loudly) and there's a red LED lit, which seems to suggest the card may DOA. I can't find any documentation that came with the card.
-Alternatively, the memory might just be bad.
4 answers Last reply
More about system boot
  1. My Evga has a light lit all the time, and the things sounds like a small jet taking off. Not this helps.
  2. It's nice that you've "looked" at the checklist. Now it's time to actually perform every step in the checklist to narrow down what's causing your problems. Posting your complete build specs will also help.
  3. Try connecting to the onboard video if your motherboard has it. I had to manually select PCIe graphics for my system back when I built it (shitty BIOS).
  4. shortstuff_mt said:
    It's nice that you've "looked" at the checklist. Now it's time to actually perform every step in the checklist to narrow down what's causing your problems. Posting your complete build specs will also help.

Perhaps I should use more specific language: I've gone through the suggestions and haven't seen any noticeable change.

I'm not sure how to verify that my components haven't simply shorted out, and I don't have a system speaker on hand or easily available to check beep codes (I'd have to drive several hours or order one off an online retailer).

RE integrated video: I don't think my board supports that. There's no DVI/VGA connector at least.

My build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R
    Power Supply: Antec 520
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3
    Processor: Intel i5 2500k
    CPU Cooler: Coolmaster Hyper 212 Plus
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3
    SSD: Crucial M4 120gb
    Optical Disc Drive: Asus 24x DVD±RW Drive DVD- (Black)
    Graphics Card: XFX HD 6950
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems