Sign in with
Your question

2 x 100mbit LAN ? ? ?

Last response: in Networking
April 6, 2005 12:26:14 PM

Can you shotgun two 100mbit LAN connections to get 200mbit second throughput??? I have never heard it being done, but you can do it with 56k modems.

So if you had a 4 port switch and two PC's and 4 NIC cards, could you use them all and have a 200mbit connnection between them?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

More about : 100mbit lan

April 6, 2005 12:56:22 PM

Yes and no. There are NICs that have that capability, but they are usually for servers. If you are thinking about just slapping two cards in yer box, it won't work unless you have NICs and a switch that can do true bundling.

You can have a 200mbit connection by enabling full duplex though (100/100 I/O).

---
I want my epitaph to be: "Moved to /dev/null"
April 7, 2005 4:40:08 PM

That is a common mistake, 100Mbit full duplex -100 meg in both directions at once is NOT a 200Mbit transfer speed. A 200Mbit lan would allow 200Mbits in at least one direction.
Related resources
April 7, 2005 4:44:59 PM

So is it possible to do with Win XP pro? Do you need anything other than a 4-port router, and 2 NIC cards + 2 onboard NIC's, or do you have to have 4 NIC cards of same type?

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
April 7, 2005 4:57:50 PM

I know, that's why I put the (100/100 I/O) there, 100Mbit in and 100Mbit out :) 

I do not know of any such solution for XP, RichPLS, and if they do exist the setup will likely cost you more than buying a fiberswitch and Gigabit NICs. You are probably already running at full duplex if you have a fairly recent equipment.

You would probably get around 200-300Mbit with a gigabit ethernet setup, so that might be the answer for you.

---
April 7, 2005 5:01:50 PM

I have one onboard giga-bit NIC, a 4-port 10/100 router, and another 10/100 onboard NIC.
And I share database for use on both computers, and thought it would be nice to speed up connection.

It would be alot cheaper if I could just add 2 NIC's and double performance.

April 8, 2005 12:36:47 AM

To have gig-a bit performance, you will need gig parts from one end to the other. That is both nics and the router/switch need to be gig parts too.
April 12, 2005 1:47:15 PM

Do you have dual NICS on the one with the Gbit connection? Then you could buy a GigaNIC for the second pc and run a cable direct between them.
Gigabit cards are autosensing so it does not matter if you use straight or crossover cables, and you can use the ROUTE command in the Dos prompt to only use the GigaNICs to talk to the pc on the other end of it.

---
!